Chapter 52

Sunday, August 2nd, 2020

There were moments in life that just had to happen, regardless of how you felt about them.

Although mum and dad has been apprehensive at first, they'd reluctantly agreed that this was something I needed to do on my own. They'd begged to at least come with me, but I needed this.

I needed this for myself.

I'm blasting Bon Iver, rolling down the freeway. The early morning traffic was thankfully light. I'd always been impatient with that type of thing. Especially when I had a long drive ahead of me.

The exit sign for Winterville looms ahead of me, and I merge into the left lane, heading to a place I never thought I'd return to.

My hands become clammy on the steering wheel and I readjust my grip, sitting up higher. I knew this was going to be hard. Returning to my old life wasn't supposed to be easy, even if it was only for the day.

I'd never really planned on doing this but it felt like the right thing to do. Something that I needed in order to finally let go.

My phone begins to ring as I pull up behind a car at the traffic lights. There was only half an hour to go.

"Hey," I breath, answering the call.

"You good, Hall?"

Yesterday had be one hell of a day. I'd never imagined that Harry's family wouldn't blame me when they found out. But despite everything, they had accepted me into their lives.

"I'm good," I say, sternly.

"I was surprised when I saw your text," he says, groggily, likely just waking up.

I'd left just after 6am, letting my friends know what I'd be up to today. It may have seemed excessive to tell them something so early, but I was done with keeping secrets. I was ready to open a new chapter, a new part of myself.

"I was surprised myself," I smile. "I didn't think I'd ever be able to do this— I still might not be able to do this, but I need to try."

"Of course you will," he says lightly, like it's the easiest thing in the world to agree to. "Let me know how it goes, alright?"

"I will, Harry. I...love you."

The words still felt foreign on my tongue. Saying it out loud would likely always scare me but I knew how I felt about Harry. Those three words had never been more sincere.

"I love you too, Hall," he laughs and I can hear the smile in his voice. "I'll see you tonight when you get home."

I can't help but smile, blushing despite myself. "Yeah. That sounds good."

Bon Iver fills the speakers once Harry hangs up. I can't seem to wipe the smile off my face.

We weren't offical or anything but I knew it was only a matter of time. Although it hasn't even been a year, I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without him. Without any of my friends.