chapter 33

Monday, May 11th, 2020

I can't stop staring at my wrist. Dodger had warned me against touching it, telling me it would risk infection.

Six months. Nix had been gone for exactly six months. It had only been six months since my entire life changed, yet it felt like an eternity.

I outline the tattoo on my wrist as I sit opposite Mrs Thornbury. I was obsessed with it. It looked exactly like my design.

"I always wanted a tattoo but I was too scared to ever get one," she smiles, absentmindedly rubbing her belly.

"Not long now," I say. "Only— what? Two months to go?"

She rolls her eyes. "I cannot wait to get this tiny baby out of me. I'm over the back pain."

She's dressed more casually today. It wasn't her usual floral style, but a simple pair of loose-fitting pants and a white blouse.

"None of my clothes fit me anymore," she pouts. "Even my feet are too swollen to wear my favourite boots."

I offer her a smile, picking at the fluff on my school jumper nervously.

"What's on your mind today, Lonnie?"

What wasn't on my mind today would have been a better question. Everything was swarming my head like bees in a hive.

"Everything," I mutter.

She doesn't comment but clasps her hands together against her belly.

Something about Mrs Thornbury always made me feel like I could be honest. I never felt like I had to hide around her because I knew this was a safe space.

"I'm worried about Aubrey," I admit. "She sort of...spoke to me. She remembers who I am."

Mrs Thornbury's expression falters but she remains nonchalant. "Aubrey Steinfeld?"

I nod. "Yes. She came up to me and told me that she remembers who I am now. That Nix is my brother," I whisper.

Mrs Thornbury nods. "Do you feel unsafe, Lonnie? At school?"

I go to answer but realise that I don't have one. I hadn't ever considered that maybe Aubrey would do more than just pin me against a locker.

"I don't know. I'm just scared that she might tell people the truth."

Mrs Thornbury takes a few notes down. She nods her head even though I've finished speaking like she's locked in her thoughts.

"I will do as much as I can, Lonnie. But I need your permission."

"My permission?" I frown.

"These sessions are confidential. But it has come to my attention that I may need to inform the school of this situation."