chapter 49

Saturday, July 4th, 2020

I sleep more than I wake.

The doctors tell me it's normal to sleep 16 hours a day because of the strain on my body but it's frustrating. I can hardly stay coherent for more than an hour.

Despite this, mum had been able to fill me in on everything that I had missed. My parents had decided to extend the lease on our house in Bakley for another six months. Mum turned down the job near the city. She wanted to stay as close as she could to me. For now, we were staying. I didn't know if that was a permanent thing but I felt relieved.

I'd missed plenty of school but mum had been having regular meetings with my principal about how I could graduate this year without repeating. It was possible but I'd have to work hard and would most likely be finishing after everyone else. But graduating this year was all that mattered.

The police came by last night. They spoke to me about Aubrey for an hour. What happened, how it happened. It was tough to have to speak to them again. It reminded me of Nix.

I blink to clear my blurred vision, accomodating to the early morning light. Mum was speaking animatedly over by the window with my doctor. She was nodding vigorously, taking in every word.

I pull myself up, clenching my teeth. Everything aches. My brain was always throbbing, no matter how strong my pain killers were.

"Good morning," mum says, striding over time me with determination.

"Morning," I mumble, wiping my eyes.

"Doctor Anderson said everything is going well. You're recovering at a good pace."

"That's reassuring," I smile softly.

"How are you feeling?" Doctor Anderson smiles. She scrutinises my vitals as she talks.

"Sore," I croak.

"Unfortunately that is normal, Lonnie. Your body has suffered through a great ordeal."

I nod, my attention drawn to the window. Rain was beginning to trickle down. The sun was behind the clouds.

"I'll come by later on," Mrs Anderson says. My mum thanks her before she walks out.

"So," mum says, perching on the end of my bed diligently. "There's someone here who's been wanting to see you."

"Who?" I rasp.

Before she can answer, a man who seems to be in his early thirties wheels in a lady carrying a newborn baby.