Escapism

*8 years ago*

Natasha's POV:

My heart was racing as I tried to make up my mind. I would feel terrible if I left Tiana behind.

"I'm scared, Tiana." 

"Why, sister?" asked Tiana.

"The celebration ceremony. I don't think I can do it." I said nervously.

"It's what's best." she answered with confidence.

"I want children one day. I don't want to be an agent, I want a normal life." I ranted.

"Natalia, we can't do anything about it. This is our life now. We can't be afraid."

I sighed deeply, acknowledging her opinion on this. But it just didn't seem right to me.

"I don't want this to be my life." I said, my voice breaking. I inhaled sharply and walked from Tiana's room.

I may never see her again.

The conversation lingered in my mind.

'I can't live like this.' I said to myself. Right then and there, I made up my mind.

I escaped swiftly without a single soul noticing. I guess the tricks they teach us worked too well.

----

* Many years later*

Throughout the years of being gone, I joined multiple 'forces' and it ended with me getting shot.

A guy named Clint Barton brought the attention of SHIELD to me. So after fighting for the bad people for so many years, I finally fought with the good ones.

I was a SHIELD spy now.

I worked on countless missions and soon I'll be on the assignment of Anthony Stark. Yes. Tony Stark. I already know I'm going to hate the guy.

"Agent Romanoff." called Fury. He handed me a manilla envelope. Inside was pictures and details of Stark, speak of the devil. "Stark assignment." he said.

I sighed. "He's not too much of a stuck up asshole, is he?"

"Very much so." 

I sighed again and gave a small laugh, my red locks bouncing.

"Wish me luck." I said sarcastically and headed to my next assignment.

---------

*A few hours before Tiana breaks into SHIELD*

I was extremely stressed.

My list of things to be worried about were;

1.) Barton

2.) Dr. Banner

3.) Loki

4.) Stark

5.) Thor

6.) The Scepter

and

7.) The Tesseract

Barton was of course my number one priority, however. He was my best friend and I could never let anything happen to him.

Rogers and Banner had boarded the helicarrier and we had taken off into the air.

I watched closely as Furry talked to Loki, watching his every movement. Loki looked into the camera and smiled to us watching.

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" asked Banner sarcastically.

"Loki's gonna drag this out. So, Thor, what's his play?" asked Steve.

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asguard, nor of any known world. He means to lead them against your people." said Thor.

I sighed, my brain trying to think of solutions to any of this mess.

"So he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for." said Banner.

"Selvig?"

"He's an astrophysicist. A friend."

"Loki had him under some kind of spell," I said. "along with one of ours." The words hurt to speak.

I wanted to talk to Loki myself, twist the answers from him. Maybe even simple manipulation will work on a God of mischief.

"It's a stabilizing agent." the new voice caught my attention and snapped me out of thought.

Stark.

"I'm just saying, pick a weekend. I'll fly you to Portland. Keep love alive." he said to Agent Coulson. He turned his attention to us. "It means the portal won't collapse on itself like it did at SHIELD. No hard feelings, Point Break. You've got a mean swing." he lightly smacked Thor arm. "Also, it means the portal can open as wide and stay open as long as Loki wants. Raise the mizzenmast. Jib the topsails.' He pointed to a guy in the corner computer. "That guy is playing Galaga. He thought we wouldn't notice, but we did." he turned to a screen. "How does Fury even see these?"

"He turns." answered Hill.

"Sound exhausting."

They continued to blabber back and forth and I didn't take notice of Fury walking in until he spoke. It was about Loki turning Barton and Selvig in to personal flying monkeys.

----

We were gathered in the little lab area designated for Stark and Banner. We were talking about plans until the door slid open to reveal a woman. She looked very young with red hair and green eyes..

She had a gun pointed directly at my head. 

I couldn't comprehend the fact that she was standing in front of me. My sister was standing in front of me. My head was spinning.

I felt anger, but not at her. At myself. I wasn't angry her gun was pointed at me, she deserved to be angry at me. All these lost years I could never make up for.

Hill and Fury got out their guns and everyone else readied themselves to attack her. I couldn't, no, I wouldn't take my gun out. 

"Who the hell are you?" demanded Fury.

She didn't answer as she kept her eyes on me

"Tiana," I whispered breathlessly. It was all I could get out.

"You know her?" asked Banner.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, still in disbelief. In a way, I was glad she was here. I could finally see her face after so long.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" she screamed at me in Russian. I understood she was angry at me for leaving her and becoming an agent of SHIELD. I couldn't be angry at her for any of this.

"What is this Midguardian saying?" questioned Thor.

"Tia?" asked Steve. He knew her?

"You left me for this?" she asked more quietly in Russian. Her quiet, breaking voice made me want to hate myself for all eternity for leaving her alone.

"Please, let me explain." I practically begged. "Put down the gun." I tried to stay calm.

"Okay, what the fuck is happening?" asked Tony.

"Tiana, please." I begged in English.

She looked sad and teary. I have never seen her like this. Suddenly, she did something I never thought she'd do in a thousand years.

She dropped her gun.

I wanted to hug her and never stop apologizing for the hell I've given her. "I'm so sorry." I whispered.

Fury lowered his gun. "And who is this, Agent Romanoff?"

I hesitated for a moment, knowing if I said the wrong thing, he'd probably shoot her. "My sister." I said gently.

I looked into her green eyes and she looked back at mine.

In that instant, I wanted nothing more than to have my sister back.

This was all my fault.