Chapter 9

"Sweet place you have here, guys." Mr. Berry said to us, whistling while looking around. "Putting that royal money into good use, I see." He added, not missing the chance to tease Rohan. With that, they got into a small fight again. 

       I only shrug seeing them throwing small insult to each other as I find my way up the treehouse. But just as I was about to climb the ladder up, Mr. Berry called out to me. "What?" I asked.

       "It'll be boring to just watch these boys train. Might as well join today." He said.

       "What? I'm not paying you." I said,  my hand still gripping the ladder tightly.

       "I did negotiate the pay to be higher. Consider it paid. The prince doesn't care, right?" He said. As we all turn to look at Rohan who was glaring at me.

         "You're the one who asked him to train us?!" He said still having the leftover anger from their small fight. "Why didn't I know this?" He added.

         " There's no need to get mad, Rohan." Chester finally speaks up. "Everything is going well now.  We got to train and we get to improve a lot." Chester added.

          "Enough fighting, kids." Mr. Berry said, having enough of it. "I have something in mind. For the tree of you." He said while grabbing something out from his bag. The three of us just look at each other and come closer to Mr. Berry. Then something comes flying towards Rohan, he managed to catch it in time before it smacked his face. It was a wooden staff, but it doesn't look like it can break. It has a big prismatic crystal flying on top of the staff. Then, I see things flying towards me. I barely manage to catch it. It was a bow and a quiver full of arrows. I was busy studying the bow, while I heard Chester freaked out after being thrown at with a sword. "Now, I want all of you to train with these weapons. I enchanted these weapons with magic so it'll break when you are good at it."

           "It looks like I am the only one who is not familiar with my assigned weapon. This is not fair." I said, annoyed. I am already good at using daggers, why do I need to learn archery now?

          "I see how good you are with daggers, and you know it too, but that thing is not for you." Mr. Berry explained. 

         "What do you mean?" I asked. What does he mean by it? Daggers are not for me? Daggers are all Yohanan knows how to use in the game. And I am Yohanan, that means, daggers are for me.

          "You'll understand it later." He muttered. What does he mean by that? Then he ignored me and started explaining everything to Rohan and Chester as to why they only need to focus on how to fight with the weapon they just got. Rohan has the potential to be a great mage and without a medium to channel his magic, his talent will just go to waste as he will cast everything slower and weaker, so he needs to focus on that. If a desperate time ever comes, he is capable enough to wield a sword to protect himself. As for Chester, it is the same old thing, he has great potential. He does not choose swordsmanship, swordsmanship chose him.  "I know, some of you don't like this so if you pass the fitness test next month. All of you can go back to what is comfortable for you. I'm just testing things out." He said. "Just think of this as a fun game or challenge. Have some fun!" He added and proceed to teach us the basics of how to use our weapons. 

         It turned out we all suck. Rohan has trouble channeling his magic into the stuff, I kept messing up with the aiming, and Chester is like always, something is missing. Chester is not in any way bad at using sword but he clearly is missing something that makes him look lacking in some area. And heck yeah I know what that missing thing is, it is the typical power of friendship or love depends on who will the heroine romance. Unbelievable, right?! But remember, this world is a world based on a game. An otome game at that too. A crappy one too! Why I do not help him find that thing as soon as possible? I cannot just do that! I am not the key to his 'awakening'. The key is the heroine, so how about we leave it alone and just wait for the arrival of the heroine.

         After an hour of training, Mr. Berry finally let us rest. We all go up the treehouse to find some food and there are tons of food in the storage. The royal's connection works wonders, I guess. "Mr. Berry, your bag is enchanted, right? I mean, for a small bag, it sure fits a lottt of things." Chester asked Mr. Berry. Mr. Berry just simply answered him with a nod while shoving foods into his mouth. "Isn't an enchanted bag like...really pricey?" He asked again.

        "Where do you think all the money you pay me goes to?" Mr. Berry said.

        "Alcohols," Rohan said.

        "Shut up, kid. I can be a responsible adult too. I AM a responsible adult, I am YOUR teacher, after all." 

         "Yeah, sure," I said dryly. Then, Chester laugh and the rest of us joined in. But as our laughter died down, I cannot help but feel an uneasy feeling inside me. Mr. Berry is...trying to change the storyline, right? But, how? I turned to look at Mr. Berry who slowly walks towards the window. He looks like he is deep in thought. Then my eyes went wide, as I see his eyes turn from brown to amber then back to brown. I quickly look down on the floor and I hold my mug tightly. I know there is something off with him but I really do not think he is a danger to us. But. First, the amber eyes. Then, him saying daggers are not for me and that I will understand later. 'Understand later'? Understand what and how? Him, showing up already change things and him telling us to learn new things is also changing things. I could be the one responsible for these changes because I am the one who asked him to train Rohan and Chester in the first place. But, I do not think I am the only one changing things here. 

          Could he be the same as me? I heard there is a sequel for this otome game after all in my past life. I shuddered after remembering that piece of information because...I do not know anything about it. And if he is one of the characters from that sequel that somehow are the same case as me, he looks like he is trying to change things. What is coming?

           "Oi, back to training." Mr. Berry said to us. I brought myself back to reality and followed him out along with Rohan and Chester. 

           I need to investigate this without blowing my cover. If my theory is right, he might be thinking he is the only one who is causing the changes I accidentally make or maybe WE suddenly make. So he might not suspect me. He is preparing us for something, though. And the unknown is scaring me.