Chapter 24

"So you're moving back in?"I asked my cousin Clifford who is very focused on putting back all of his books from a box to his old bookshelf in his room. 

          Hearing my question, he stops. Then, he looks at me. He has the same indescribable expression on his face as he usually does. "It looks like it." He said, sighing. "I can't leave you all alone in this house after what happened."

          I just reply with an " Oh." before excusing myself. After all, we are not really close. Talking to him makes me feel extra awkward. Things are getting more awkward now when there is a family drama that is about to happen inside this house. Or maybe, it is happening.

          Even though two months have passed since my parent's death, the issue of inheritance is still not resolved. Simply put, there are two main things that must be inherited. The wealth and business, and the dukedom thingy. Usually,  both of that will just be passed to me because of my father's will that CLEARLY stated I am his heiress. The Council of Ministers is not happy with that though considering that I am still very young. So, they have an idea to just ignore my father's will and gave everything to Clifford. Oh God, I am not ready for all of this at all.

            It is not like I hate Clifford. It is just this situation really puts us in a tight spot. Ugh, stress after stress. My parents' death and this inheritance issue is not the only problem I have now too. I need to worry about why all of this is happening too. Did I change my life too much? If the changes I made are what prompted all of this to happen, does that mean I am the one who indirectly killed my parents? Ugh, positive thinking, Yohanan. I cannot blame myself!

           But, wait... How did my parents die again? I do not think anyone ever told me that? It is not me who dealt with the death certificate and everything. Ugh, I should have. But it is not like I can afford to do all that at that time. It is such a great shock to me that all I can do is cry and feel numb. If not that two, I would just sleep my sadness away and just stare blankly at the wall. Dark times. Dark times. The only reason I manage to snap out of that, for now, is because I need to solve everything. I do not want any of this to drag on until the heroine comes. I cannot imagine the amount of stress I would be in if that happens.

             After I arrive at my room, I spent quite some time to think about everything. I have no time to act weak now. I must take action or something. But what can I do? I am really just a helpless person...

              "Milady." Poppy suddenly popped up behind me. Just like always.

               "What?" I said.

              "Are you sure you're still going to school tomorrow?" She asked.

               Ah, I must have forgotten to tell you that it is already January and the school opened tomorrow. Poppy kept telling me to rest some more for this month. But I see no reason to see that. I know I am emotionally fragile right now. But I need to stay strong and I also need them. My happy pills, my friends, the boys... 

                 "Yes," I answered simply.

                 Poppy was just silent after that. I expect her to dismissed herself but she stood deathly still behind me. I turn around to take a good look at her. Her face is full of worries. This is the first time she shows true emotion on her face. "Something is bothering you, milady." She said. "What can I do to help you?" She asked.

                In normal circumstances, she would be my last resort to asking for help. But right now, I need that. But what should my first step be to solve all of these issues? Should I start by investigating what actually happened to my parents? I know I could just ask my cousin since it looks like he is the only one who knows. But I cannot help but see him as an enemy now so asking him is quite difficult as if now. Okay, I think figuring out what happened is the best course for now. I need to find closure first after all. "How did my parents died?" I asked her first. Poppy is sort of our spymaster, she should know something.