Chapter 15

"I'm moving out." My cousin said to my parents last week while we are having dinner. My parents who look tired just a moment ago because they just came back from a long business trip, suddenly look energetic. Adrenaline is clearly pumping in their veins. They look like they are ready to try and convince Cliff to abandon his request no matter what.

        I cannot tell if I am surprised or not by this news. He really does not have anything to do in this house. All he does is read books, take care of himself, and eat with us. He often spent the night at the library archive which means he often is not home too. The probability of this happening always tucked deep inside my mind. After all, he seems independent and also quite aloof. It is only natural for him to gain some independence actually.

        My parents did not take it well. They are not angry though but they are saddened by this sudden news. "Did we do something bad?" My father asks him. He has a serious expression on his face. My mother followed suit in the sad and angry bandwagon, asking if we are the one who subconsciously driving him away. My cousin, Cliff calmly explained why he decided to move out to avoid any misunderstanding. He said he just wanted to be independent and live closer to where he works. Just like what I think. My parents who were worked up just then gradually stops as they think more about it.

        After a long discussion, my parents agree to him moving out but on one condition. Every end of the month, he needs to spend at least a weekend with us.

         I just stayed silent during the whole matter. All I can really think is just things will be lonelier. My parents are always gone for business trips, so I really have no one to talk to every day. Even though Cliff and I never really talk with each other, it is nice to see a family inside this house once in a while. Well, at least I have my servants to talk with and watch from afar. The house will not be literally dead.

        I wonder if this is one of the root causes as to why Yohanan in the game is very problematic? Might be. But I think I will be fine, I have friends. Yohanan in the game has no one to confide with. I wonder if my life does not turn out like now, will I be just like Yohanan in the game? I mean, I almost became like Yohanan in the game... -

         "What are you thinking?" Cliff's voice wrings me back to reality. I look at his pale face and blinks a few time to focus on his face. His glasses have slid down a little down his nose bridge.

            Where am I again? Oh yeah, Cliff moving out. I am just hanging out in his room with him because my parents say we must at least bond a little before Cliff depart. I ended up silently helping him to pack up his books from a massive bookshelf in his room. Why would he need that? He could just store his books at this house library. But, I guess, he wanted some privacy and the books my be personal.

            "No, just... Zoning out." I answered him.

            Cliff looks like he was gonna ask me something but then decided not to. He fixed his glasses, then continue to carefully put all of his books from his bookshelves into a box. He never really is someone that is good with words. So he just stayed silent most of the time except when his flares happened. 

            I wonder what the think of me? Although I grew up with him around, we never really bonded. He is always in the background, reading or just watching me. Greetings and stares are the only things we exchange all these years. He must have thought I hate him. I mean, we never talk and he never really expect me too. Sometimes when he voiced out his opinion, I just stayed silent and nod.

            My parents treat him nicely but no one can escape the inevitable uncomfortable silence when with him. He is kind of the black sheep of this family. We treat him nicely, though...

             I shook my head after I realise I am zoned out again. Then, I quickly wrapped up what I was doing which is helping him pack up things. I grab the last four books on the shelf at my side but then the books slid away from my hands and fell to the ground.

            "I'm sorry!" I said. What the heck?! Since when am I this clumsy?! This might be his precious book for God's sake!

            I turn to look at Cliff who looks at me with horror in his eyes. He quickly put the book in his hands inside the box and then swiftly switch to my side. He gathered the books and I also pick up a book near me.

           "I'm sor--" I abruptly stop apologising as I realise the book in my hand right now is the birthday gift I gave him a few years ago. It is a fiction book about a new species of 'human' conquering the world after an experiment gone wrong. The plot sure sounds intriguing. The writing though... It is flat out bad. I do not know why I think this is a good book back then. I am surprised he kept it. "You keep this book?" I asked.

           Cliff put the books he picked up in the box then turns to look at the one in my hand. "It is...a gift." He said, his voice clearly means he did not enjoy the book at all. He did have the hearts not to throw out his little cousin 'thoughtful' gift though.

            "Uhm, thanks?" I said as I give him the book. He softly takes it from my hands and gently put it inside the box. He then closes the box, making sure it is secure enough multiple times.

            Cliff stood up with a box full of books in his arm. I am surprised he can even carry that much weight. I guess it is normal for him. I think most of his works involve in carrying things from point A to point B.

           "You're welcome." He said to me as he was walking out of his room. I just followed him. There, my parents were already waiting.

             Since I cannot follow them to Cliff's new apartment in the city center, I just stand in front of him trying to form out some kind of farewell. My parents were watching us, happy to finally see us at least bond a little. "Good luck..." I said. THAT IS NOT THE RIGHT THING TO SAY AT ALL!

             Cliff eyes widen a little but then narrowed back. He just nodded and with an almost unheard voice, he said, "Thank you." His eyes met mine only for a second. There is something in his eyes, but I cannot tell what exactly it is.

              Then, they depart. Leaving me alone. No, I would not let my day be that boooooringgg. Where is Poppy again? I look around the manor for her but then as always, she suddenly shows up behind me, asking what I wanted.

              "Have you find some information about Gabriel Owens?" I asked.

              "Yes, milady."