Chapter 27

I gulped my fear back down my throat. My hand is clutching my bag tightly, fingernails digging deep into my palm. When I see her slowly turning around, I quickly gaze away and walk passed her swiftly. What is she doing here so soon? Why now?

        When I arrive in class, I just walk passed Marigold and Monika who greeted me every day. Fear clouded my vision and thought. I sat on my chair and put my bag where I always put it. My hands quickly find its way into massaging my foreheads. I did not even have the chance to settle all the smaller changes yet. No, I have plenty of times but instead of fixing things, I keep living in my fantasy. Trying to be what I should not be. Did I go too far? Will I be put in my place? Am I doomed?

           "What's wrong?" Chester asked me.

           I turned to look at him. My eyes are still wide from fear. For a moment, I can find peace from his warm smile but it was not long before the fear came back. I may never see that smile again. I--.

          "Rise!" Timothy's voice's filled the class. Everyone quickly stands up from their sits. I slowly followed. " Good morning, Mr. Smith!" He said and everyone repeated the same thing. I can only open my mouth at that time. Fear blocking sound from coming out of my mouth. Our homeroom teacher greeted us back before letting us sit. "Thank you, Mr. Smith!" Timothy said. The class followed and all of us sat back.

          I could not bring myself to look in front of the class as the heroine is standing there with her big round eyes surveying everyone in the class. Is this what Yohanan in the game felt when she saw the heroine? Instead of intense jealousy, it is intense fear? God, why did you do this to me?

             "I'm Maya Reid. Please treat me nicely!" She introduces herself. As soon as she said her last name is Reid, everyone in the class started whispering to each other. Just like in the game, they are talking about the gossip that Maya is the illegitimate child of Baron Reid. A child of a prostitute, they said. The truth is that Maya's mother is just a mistress to Baron Reid, not a prostitute. Just a country girl who does the 'freaky' with a baron. It is nice to know Baron Reid actually searches for Maya and tries to give her a better life after her mother died. A way to repent to his sin, I guess. For infidelity and ignoring his mistress until her last dying breath.

             In the game, I am the one who is supposed to throw some insult at Maya. But I could not possibly do that! If I started acting like the original me, I will be doomed. But... If I just ignored everything and do nothing, I will lose everyone that I loved.

              "Tell me. Mr. Smith. What is the daughter of a prostitute doing in this elite class?" Someone said. I quickly turn to look at the person who said it. It was from Kate Johnstone. The popular girl in this class. No--to be more precise, she is the mean girl in this school. I was supposed to be one too and she would be one of my followers, but with who I am right now, I do not think it is possible at all.

            "Miss Johnstone, it's not appropriate to say that!" Mr. Smith yelled at her. Maya just looks at her with the same puppy eyes she always has in the game when something bad happens to her.

             I turn to look at Kate again. She rolled her eyes at our homeroom teacher. "There's no doubt she'll be going around this class seducing everyone in no time. Hmmph, maybe even the school. Just like her mother. A filthy pro--"

          "Stop! My mother is not that at all!" Maya yelled suddenly. Oh, I remember this outburst. She will have many of this.

           Chester who has been shifting in his seat for a while now turns to look at Kate, "Don't say something like that to our new classmate, Kate." He said calmly. Well, this happens too. Then, he turned to look at Maya with a warm smile, "We're sorry for that." He said. That smile... Will he ever smile to me like that again after this?