27. The Secretary of State

"Eleven Wakandans were among those killed during a confrontation between the Avengers and a group of mercenaries in Lagos, Nigeria last month. The traditionally reclusive Wakandans were on an outreach mission in Lagos when the attack occurred," the female anchor on television said, while Wanda and Andria were sitting on Wanda's bed, watching the News.

A whole month had passed, but the occurrence of the explosion was still in the air.

"Our people's blood is spilled on foreign soil. Not only because of the actions of criminals, but by the indifference of those pledged to stop them. Victory at the expense of the innocent is no victory at all," King T'Chaka of Wakanda said, before the television showed the News' anchor again.

"The Avengers are operating outside and above the international law. Because that's the reality if we don't respond to acts like these. What legal authority does an enhanced individual like Wanda Maximoff have to operate in Nigeri--" Andria shut the TV off seeing Wanda's eyes getting glassy from unshed tears caused from the guilt.

"It's my fault."
"That's not true."
"Turn the TV back on. They're being very specific," Wanda said to Andria.
"Well, they're being wrong."

Before Wanda could object with Andria, Steve's voice sounded and the two girls turned to see him standing on the door frame.

"I should have clocked that bomb vest long before you had to deal with it. Rumlow said 'Bucky'...and all of a sudden I was a sixteen-year-old kid again in Brooklyn. And people died. It's on me," he said and Andria thought about Bucky being Steve's best friend long back during the Second World War.

Natasha and Sam had told her stories of how two years ago there was an assassin named 'The Winter Soldier' and turned out to be Bucky Barnes, Steve's old friend who had been captured by HYDRA back in Second World War and had been brainwashed and armed with a new cybernetic arm.

Basically they had turned him into an enhanced HYDRA operative.

They would use him to eliminate anyone who posed a threat to HYDRA and in between his missions they'd put him into a cryogenic stasis to ensure his longevity.

So, two years ago, he got assigned with a mission, but Steve, Natasha and Sam tried to stop him.

He had almost beaten Steve to death, but eventually he saved him from drowning and then he escaped.

Since then, they hadn't heard of him, so they had assumed he had probably found himself again and stopped being an assassin.

"It's on both of us," Wanda's voice brought Andria back in the reality.

"This job...We try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that...then next time... maybe nobody gets saved," Steve said, looking at both girls when suddenly Vision passed right through the wall, making all three turn to his direction.

It was an annoying habit he had. Being able to become intangible, Vision kept passing through walls, objects and even other people.

"Vis! We talked about this," Wanda said.
"Yes, but the door was open, so I assumed that...Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark was arriving," Vision explained.

"Thank you. We'll be right down," Steve said.
"I'll...use the door. Oh, and apparently, he's brought a guest."

"We know who it is?" Steve asked.
"The Secretary of State," Vision said and got out of the room.

It was arranged that Tony would come to the Avengers' base to discuss what they'd do for the public's doubts to the Avengers.

But, Secretary Ross, the Secretary of State, coming with him, meant that the United States had considered the Avengers as an important issue, needing to be discussed.