Four - Tears And A Smile

Sad things happen. They do. But we don't need to live sad forever. ~Mattie Stepanek

Ashton's POV

"I hope Luke isn't too mad at us." Calum sighed as we walked in the school. Luke had disappeared for the rest of the weekend. He wouldn't pick up his phone but denied every call. I was so worried, but I was hoping he would be here today. "Was I really being pushy?"

"Yes." Michael snarled.

"Michael I don't understand why all of a sudden you're super protective of Luke? Am I missing something!?" I snapped at the pale boy next to me.

"Are you suggesting something?" Michael scoffed. "You don't have to get so jealous Ashton."

"I'm not jealous, I just don't understand why you are all of a sudden on his side all the time." I scoffed.

"I'm with Ash on this." Calum nodded. "What's going on?"

"Look I've just, learned a few things. Okay?" Michael sighed.

"Like what?" Calum pressed.

"Like certain things I can't tell you because it would destroy the trust Luke has instilled in me." Michael snarled. I thought I heard some yelling besides Michael and Calum's banter, and than a scream.

"Shut up." I whisper yelled and they did, immediately letting the other sound fill the air.

"Get back here puke!" A voice yelled as footsteps whipped through the hall like a stampede. Vulgar words and threats were yelled and I watched Luke slide around the corner, his feet flying up from underneath him as he collided with the floor.

We ran over to him just as someone picked him up off the ground. I didn't know them and I didn't know what to say but Michael didn't think. Instead he just swung and smashed the kid in the face. Luke dropped to the floor and instantly ran to me. Tears streaming down his face as he clutched my shirt. I had a million questions but those could wait until Luke calmed and Calum contained Michael's rage.

"I will destroy you if you touch him again!" Michael yelled as Calum pulled him down the hallway. Luke shook in my arms and I just held him tighter.

"It's okay Lukey, no one will hurt you. I'm here, I won't let anything happen." I said softly.

Luke eventually stopped shaking and calmed around, despite the few tears still leaking out and sniffles he let out. I lifted him off the floor and walked Luke outside, my hand laying on the small of his back as I guided him through the hall.

When outside I found Michael and Calum under a tree and sat Luke down underneath it.

"Luke can you answer a few questions?" I asked.

"M-Maybe." Luke mumbled as he traced patterns in the dirt.

"Who was that?" I asked.

"Peter Perrin." Luke said as he messed with the laces on his shoes.

"Has he bothered you before?" Calum asked and Luke have a sheepish nod.

"For how long?" Michael said with a cautious voice. Luke shrugged with his gaze kept at the ground.

"C-Can I just go?" Luke mumbled after a moment of silence. His blue eyes looked up to me, a pleading look. I swear I could never say no.

"How about I go with you?" I offered. Luke nodded and the two of us stood up. Saying goodbye, we left Michael and Calum behind.

"Do I have to go to class?" Luke mumbled.

"You? Skipping first period?" I snickered by stopped when I saw Luke's face. It held a dismay I could not witness. "No, I can take you home."

"Does it have to be my house?" Luke mumbled and I gave a confused look.

"I guess we can go to my house.." I said. "But we have to walk."

"That's fine." Luke said quietly and we headed towards my house. Luke walked with his head ducked, shoulders slumped and feet trudging along the pavement.

"So Michael said something odd." I shrugged, trying to bring in this topic.

"Like?"

"He's said he's learned a few things. A few things about you." I said. "Would you like to explain?"

"There's nothing to explain." Luke said. "I have no idea what he's talking about." Luke stood up straighter, his hands held behind his back made his shoulders look broader and a smile made it's way to his lips. "You know, I suppose we could go back to school. Or we could go home and play video games all day together. Which sounds more fun?"

"Is that a question?" I asked. Luke shocked me sometimes. He went from completely torn down, distraught to smiling and joking.

I fear I'll never understand him.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION

So there's that of this and yes. :3

I'm watching The Princess Bride while writing this and it's like one in the morning and I'm just like. Eeep.

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX