24 - Back To Basics

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. ~Soren Kierkegaard

Luke's POV

I walked into school, several people watched me with gasps. It must be the injuries I held.

It was my last year in school, all I had to do was survive it, but at this point I had shifted around the original plan so much that if I didn't continue I wouldn't survive. Simple as that.

My hands shook ever so slightly as I walked around the school by myself.

"Whoa, who beat you up?" Noah asked as he approached me at my locker, I flinched slightly at the words used but said nothing. "So..You and Ashton."

"Yeah." I said blankly.

"So you really are gay?" Noah asked and I nodded. "It probably means nothing but, I'm sorry for that day in math class. You must've been freaking out or insulted."

I gave Noah a weak smile. "Thank you."

"No need to thank me," Noah smiled. "It had to done." I nodded in agreement before Noah gently patted my back. "Okay well I gotta head to class, stay safe Luke."

"You too." I said and he nodded before walking down the hallway.

"Well, well, well." I heard Peter's voice snickering behind me.

"Uhm.." I turned around.

"I hear someone else has been beating you up," Peter smiled. "Let me guess, it was Ashton, was it not?"

"The only person I'm beating up is you." I heard Ashton's voice mixing with cracking knuckles as Peter jumped and turned around to see Calum and Michael as well.

"Oh! H-Hi!" Peter laughed nervously.

"Peter I'm going to tell you this once and only once." Ashton snarled as he pinned Peter to the lockers. "If you ever come near my Luke again, I will crush every bone in your body and then some. Do you hear me?"

"Yes!" Peter squeaked.

"And that's not a threat," Ashton snapped. "It's a promise."

"Okay! I'll stay away from Luke!" Peter said.

"Better." Ashton snapped and let Peter go, watching him walk down the hallway before turning to Luke. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Luke said.

"Are you sure? He didn't hurt you or anything, did he?" Ashton asked.

"No." Luke shook his head with a smile as Ashton rambled off several more questions like "how's your head?" Or "and you arms?"

"Ash," Luke cut the older boy off. "I'm okay, so stop rambling."

"Oh, sorry Luke." Ashton smiled shyly. "I-I was just worried."

"Its okay." I said. "C'mon, let's go to class."

"Yeah. Okay." Ashton smiled, taking Luke's hand in his own as they walked down he hallway. Getting some odd looks from some.

Ashton kissed my cheek as we walked into the classroom, sitting next to each other. Everyone was staring at me with wide eyes and I wanted to hide.

"Hey knock it off, do you have a staring problem?" Michael snapped at one of the kids in front of us.

"Everyone is staring, Michael." I mumbled.

"Do you need to leave?" Ashton asked, leaning closer to me. "If you do need to leave we can. I don't want you to be upset all day."