27 - The First Trial

It is better to risk saving a guilty man than condeming an innocent one. ~Voltaire

Luke's POV

"Ready Luke?" Ashton asked as he adjusted the tie around my neck. I nodded my head slowly. "Okay, well all you're going to do is walk in there and sit down on the table, you don't even need to look at your father, okay?" 

"Okay." I breathed. 

"And when you're testifying, just look at me or whoever is questioning you. Do not let your eyes wander over to your father, do you hear me?" Ashton said, force behind his voice and I nodded quickly. 

"Thatta boy, you're going to do just fine. I promise you this." Ashton smiled. "Okay, so just wait until they let you in." 

We stood outside the court room for maybe ten minutes longer, my heart was pounding out of my chest and I felt as if I could barely talk. 

I sat at the table and a few seconds later I was joined by Garret. 

"Hello Luke, how are you?" He asked with a smile. 

"Nervous." I said, wiping my palms on my pants. 

"That's only expected." Garret said. "However, I'm sure we've got this case in the bag with yours and Ashton's testimony." I nodded my head slowly. 

I sat in silence, listening to the many pieces of advice that Garret was giving me when it came to testifying. When it came to everything in the court room. 

My eyes were closed as I gathered the information but snapped open when I heard someone speak. "All rise." I turned my head to the  police officer standing near the stands. "For the honorable Judge Beatrice Nasca." 

"Stand up Luke, or you'll be in contempt of court." Garret said so I quickly stood up. Pulling down the hem of my jacket. 

I kept my eyes to the front of the room, refusing to look to the right although I could feel my father's gaze burning into my skin like an uncontrolable force of nature. 

I took in a shaky breath, trying to remain calm. If I came this far then I could make it. 

I was spacing out but snapped back into reality when I heard Garret speak up. "I would like to call Ashton Irwin to the stand." 

Ashton popped up from his seat behind me and walked through the little gate, smiling at Garret and locking his eyes on mine, giving a nod of reassurance. Which I returned. 

Ashton stepped up on the stand, an officer made him take an oath and like that. He was ready for questioning. I could hear my father scoffing in amusement from the sidelines. 

"Hello Mr. Irwin." Garret greeted him. 

"Hello." Ashton smiled polietly. 

"So, I'm just going to ask you a few questions, and you shall answer them. Okay?" Garret asked and Ashton nodded. 

"So, tell me..You're relationship to Luke?" Garret asked.

"Oh, well, we're dating." Ashton smiled. 

"Lovely." Garret smiled. "And so, you know of Luke and all of his..Issues, do you not?" 

"Yes, I know all of them." Ashton nodded. 

"So you're relationship doesn't hide anything?" Garret asked. 

"Objection your honor!" My father's lawyer yelled. "Relevance!" 

"Yes, where is this leading?" The judge asked. 

"Well I'm trying to get a sense of how much Mr. Irwin knows of Mr. Hemmings harmfulness towards Luke." Garret said. 

"Overruled." The judge said. "You may continue." 

"Thank you your honor." Garret smiled. "Ashton please answer." 

"Um..What was the question?" Ashton laughed nervously. 

"Does your relationship with Luke hide anything?" Garret asked. 

"No." Ashtoon shook his head. 

"So, Luke came to you after being beaten by his father, correct?" Garret asked. 

"Of course he did. I'll never forget the way he looked." Ashton said, and there was no fake pain in his face or eyes. It was real. 

"Elaborate. How did Luke look the last time he came to your house?" Garret said. 

"Well, his head was-was bleeding." Ashton said. "His face was all red and looked as if it was starting to bruise. He-He couldn't even talk he was in so much pain. He stumbled in the room. We took him to the hospital right after." 

"You were told what his conditions were, correct?" Garret asked. 

"Yeah, I was." 

"Okay, now I have a medical report from when Luke went to the hospital saying the extent of his injuries." Garret walked over to the table and grabbed a paper, walking back over to Ashton. "Could you just look this over, confirm this is what the doctor told you?" 

Ashton spent a few minutes looking over the paper before handing it back to Garret. "Yes, that's all right." 

"Excellent. Now, can you tell me about Luke and his father? What do you know?" Garret asked. 

"I feel as if Luke is absolutely terrified of his father." Ashton said, I kept my eyes casted down, I couldn't look at him anymore. "He has all these nightmares and whenever he gets nervous or scared he stutters. And whenever it comes to his father, he's just that." 

"No more questions." Garret smiled and sat down at the table next to me. 

"Does the defense have any questions?" The judge asked. 

"Um..Yes your honor." The other lawyer said as he walked up to the stand where Ashton was. "Hello Mr. Irwin how is your day?" 

"Good and yours?" Ashton smiled. 

"Lovely." The lawyer smiled. "So tell me, if Luke is so afraid of his father, why would he tell you?" 

"He didn't." Ashton shook his head. 

"Oh?" 

"I saw the marks, and when I asked, he confessed it." Ashton said. 

"I see. Has Luke ever been much of a liar?" He asked. 

"Never." Ashton shook his head. 

"I see." The lawyer said, he stood in his spot for a second, not thinking of anything. "Well, I have no further questions your honor." 

I watched Garret question several other people and totally wreck my father's case with Ashton's mother, even Sarah. Everyone just proved their worth and I was thinking that I would be next every time. But the session came to an end. And we would meet in a few days. My father was removed from the room after the judge left and I noticed the jury giving me sympathetic looks. 

Even though it seemed as if I would win I couldn't stop shaking with fear. 

AUTHOR'S NOTIFICATION

Wooooooo

Okay no author's note cause i'm lazy and I wanna watch a movie :P 

Hugs, Kisses, Cuddles and Serenades xX