Eight - Hide Through Fear

It's sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew. ~Henry Rollins

Luke's POV

I sighed as I walked through the school. Holding my arms tight against my books until they stung. I turned the corner and slammed into someone.

"Dammit watch out, Luke." Calum sighed as he looked at me disapprovingly. My eyes were wide an watery, causing Calum's distasteful glare to fade into a sympathetic glance. "Luke? Are you alright?"

"Huh?" I blinked away the tears in my eyes. "Um. Nothing. I'm okay." I gave a smile and Calum sighed again.

"Follow me." Calum said as we walked towards his locker. "I left class to get something from my locker, why'd you leave class?"

"Every genius needs a break now and again." I said and saw a small smile on Calum's lips.

"Cute joke, but it's just that." Calum sighed. "A joke, so tell me the truth."

"I needed a break, I-I couldn't think. So the teacher told me to go for a walk." I shrugged.

"That's more believable." Calum said. "Why couldn't you think?"

"My mind's kinda fogged right now." I shrugged.

"Fogged with what?" Calum asked.

"So many questions." I sighed and Calum gave me a sad look. "What?"

"If it was about Ashton, you might want to drain those thoughts out." Calum sighed.

"What? Why?"

"Ash, doesn't like you anymore. I'm not even sure he wants to be friends." Calum said and I felt as if everything was falling down around me. Not even friends?

"W-Why n-not?" I stuttered like I do when I'm nervous.

"Because Luke, he doesn't feel like he knows you anymore." Calum shrugged. "Like, all you are is this..Fake. All you are is smiles and jokes but he's starting to put together that you're not entirely that." Calum put a hand on my shoulder. "I'm going to ask two questions, answer one and I can help you."

"What are they?" I asked. I very rarely took help. But if I could get help to save my friendship with Ashton, then I would take it.

"Okay, question one is why did you flinch?" Calum asked. Oh hell no, I could never answer that. It would ruin everything. "Or, just tell me one thing going wrong with you."

"You won't tell?" I squeaked.

"Course I won't." Calum said. He waited patiently for me to chose. And I knew the first one could not be done.

"Don't freak out.." I mumbled.

"I'll try my best." Calum offered a small smile and as I went to speak my voice totally choked. Not being able to do anything else I took a shaky hand and rolled up my sleeves and held the damaged limbs to Calum. At this point he was wide eyed, shocked. He ran a finger across my arm and I winced slightly. Calum pulled the sleeves back down and didn't say a word.

"No wonder you didn't want to tell Ashton." Calum finally breathed, lifting tear filled eyes to me. "If it breaks my heart, I don't want to know how much it would hurt him." Tears finally spilled over as Calum took me in his arms and I nuzzled my face in his shoulder. Not wanting him to go but the sounds of footsteps against the tiles made me take off in the opposite direction. Ducking into the stairwell I slid down against the wall. Covering my mouth to keep my cries silenced.