28 - Second Try

Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed. ~Martin Luther King Jr.

Luke's POV

"Luke!" I heard Ashton call my name as I sat in the batroom, rocking back and forth whimpering. He walked in the room and saw me on the dirty tiles "There you are." He walked over and crouched next to me. "The final trial starts in five minutes, why are you sitting in here?"

"B-Because I-I don't want t-to testify." I stuttered and Ashton .

"Remember I did it, and it was so easy." Ashton said. "All you have to do is answer the questions, like Garret said. Just look at me, I'll be right there."

"P-Promise?"

"Of course I promise." Ashton smiled as he helped me off the floor. "You can do this." I nodded my head and let Ashton take my hand as he lead me to the entrance of the courtroom.

"Just a few more minutes." Ashton said, he was holding both of my hands and swinging them back and forth. "I love you." Ashton leaned down and kissed me.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Hey save the freak show for your own time." Someone scoffed as they walked past us.

"Don't listen to her Luke." Ashton sighed.

"I won't." I said quietly.

"Promise?" Ashton asked.

"Promise." I said as I stepped into Ashton's arms. Wanting to stay here forever, feeling safe. Alas, I had to press forward. The doors opened. And I had to do this.

"Let's do this Luke." Garret patted my back as I sat down at the small table and kept my eyes casted at the floor. I felt Ashton tap my shoulder, I flinched slightly but turned to him.

"You got this." Ashton held his fist up for me to knock my own against. So I did before turning back around and adjusting my tie.

So the judge had entered the room the same as yesterday. However, this was way worse because I knew I had stand up on the stand.

"Your first witness." I heard.

"I would like to call Luke Hemmings to the stand." Garret said, patting my shoulder once I stood up.

I walked over to the stand, slowly and carefully so I didn't fall. I think I heard a woman say "poor boy."

So I took the oath before taking a deep breath and sitting down.

"Son," The judge said. "Are you alright? You look kind of ill."

"Y-Yes ma'am." I said quietly. "Jus-Just nervous."

"Understandable." The judge said. "Alright, you may begin question him."

"Hello Luke," Garret smiled at me.

"H-Hi." I said, giving a shy smile.

"How are you?" Garret asked.

"Okay, you?" I responded.

"Good, good. Thank you for asking." Garret said. "Now Luke, I'm going to ask you some questions, alright?" I nodded. "Luke, how does your father treat you?"

"B-Bad." I mumbled.

"Could you go into farther detail?" Garret asked. "Luke, does your father hit you?" I nodded.

"Son, could you speak your answers." The judge said.

"S-Sorry ma'am." I said quietly. "He-He does."