23 - Stand Up For Me

Though lovers be lost love shall not. ~Dylan Thomas

Ashton's POV

Luke was sleeping on my couch, his facial features constricting every now and again with the dream he was having. Tempted to wake him, but then again, he needed the rest. He seemed okay for the moment. Once in a while I would run my fingers through his hair and then smooth it out, which seemed to calm him a great deal. 

I heard a knock on the door, and got up from the couch to answer it. Needless to say, I knew who would be showing up and who he would be showing up for. So I grabbed a paper off of the table nearby. 

"Hello Mr. Hemmings." I snarled at the man standing at the door. I hated him with a burning passion. I wanted him out of Luke's life so it guaranteed for him to remain in mine. 

"I'm here for my boy." He smiled wickedly. 

"Hm, well it seems to me like you can't have Luke." I shrugged. 

"What? Why not?" He asked, the smile fading.

"You don't even deserve Luke, you and I both know what he's done to him." I snarled. "Don't act so damn innocent, you should be in jail right now." 

"But I'm not." He smirked. "You should watch your tone with an adult there, Ashton. I'm pretty sure I can take what you're saying out on Luke, since he is your boyfriend and all." 

"You won't lay another hand on him." I snapped. "Or I will -" I stopped when I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw my mother at my side. I stood back slightly, trying to regain my composure as my mother calmed me. Giving me a look that said 'don't mess things up.' 

"Kyle I'm afraid I cannot give you Luke." She said. An odd look played his father's face. "Luke was hospitalized yesterday afternoon." 

"Wait..So he's not even here?" He asked. 

"That's correct." My mother said, I knew she was lying, playing him for the fool he was, But she was doing it to keep Luke safe, that's all I cared about.

"Why didn't I receive a call?" He asked. 

"Because I was the one who brought him, he was placed under my insurance, and under my name. I'm the one who has to have him released." My mother carefully answered. 

"Oh. Well, I-I'll just go back to my home then." He said as he turned and walked down the steps, heading off in the right direction. 

"Why'd you lie?" I asked when my mother finally shut the door. 

"Because Ashton, he could take Luke home." My mother sighed. 

"No because we have this -" 

"That paper isn't in effect if Mr. Hemmings has not been informed." My mother said. "He hasn't and the police are planning to inform him when they take him in, that should be sometime today or tomorrow." 

"Okay." I sighed. I walked back into the living room to see Luke sitting up, eyes wide, with his legs pulled up to his chin as he stared intensely at the floor. 

"Hey Luke, what's the matter?" I asked as I sat down next to him. 

"Is my father really taking me back?" Luke whimpered, raising his eyes up to me. "I-I don't want to go with him." 

"You won't." I smiled. "I'll make sure of it." 

Luke stared at me for a second, his blue eyes darting every which way. "How?" 

"Alright, I wasn't going to tell you right now, but I guess it's a better time than any." I sighed and sat back on the couch. "Remember that police officer you confessed to? Sarah?"