Chapter 12

"Should we do t-shirts?" Priya asks.

"I mean, we did them last year," Joe grimaces.

Sarah, Kelly, Holly, Joe, Priya and I are having dinner at Kelly's house discussing our plans for potential fundraisers. September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month, and our unit tries to do some sort of awareness event every year.

It's unfortunate that pediatric cancers get so little acknowledgement. The American Cancer Society only allocates 4% of their funding towards pediatric cancer research, and merely a handful of drugs have been created for pediatric cancers in the last several decades. Pharmaceutical companies don't find it profitable to dedicate their efforts towards this vulnerable population.

It sucks.

So, we do what we can to help raise awareness within our community. We've sold t-shirts, vinyl applications for car windows, and have even organized a 5K run in the past. All proceeds go towards pediatric cancer research. We also coordinate and provide breakfast for our patients on the unit.

"Well, who is bringing what for the breakfast? And what day should we choose?" Sarah interjects.

My phone vibrates—a welcomed distraction. It's getting a little animated around here.

Logan: Hey, are you busy?

A couple weeks have passed since Logan and I woke up on his couch, and we haven't seen each other since. We text, occasionally. Admittedly, hearing from him makes my day.

Mia finished up her first round of chemotherapy and she is now at home recovering. Depending on the patient's treatment plan, disease severity, and protocol, most patients receive around five consecutive days of chemotherapy before a two to four week break. Then, they come in for another round of chemotherapy. Sometimes they receive the same drugs again, sometimes they don't. The break from chemotherapy is very important, as it provides the body time to recover from the harsh effects of the medications.

Logan is trying to find his rhythm managing Mia's recovery. He and Ashley have worked out a schedule and are both on top of her medication regimen. A home health nurse comes to assist with lab draws and dressing changes, and it seems like so far things have been going well for them.

If I'm being honest, I miss him. A smile spreads across my face, catching the eye of my co-workers. Priya raises an eyebrow, but doesn't say anything.

Lauren: Just finishing up dinner with some of my co-workers. Why, what's up?

Logan: Mia's home health nurse canceled on us today. We thought it'd be fine and we could handle it, but we can't. Ashley had her in the tub and her dressing got wet and now we are panicking because we know it needs to be changed.

I know where this is going.

Lauren: Do you want me to come change it?

Logan: Would you? Ashley called me over here in a panic and we don't know what we're doing. We have all of the supplies.

I can only imagine how freaked out they are.

Lauren: Of course I'll come. Text me her address and I'll head over.

"Hey guys, I have to go," I look up, addressing the group.

"Everything okay?" Joe asks.

"Yeah, Logan just needs some help with Mia. Her dressing is coming off and needs to be changed."

Sarah smiles, amused. Joe purses his lips.

"I'm just going to request an Uber, then head out. I'm sorry to leave early, guys. Kelly, thanks for hosting." I begin to clear my place setting, aiming to help clean up after myself.