Chapter 16

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah, he was really hot, too. I don't know. I'm kind of excited about him," Sami's voice is excited, contagiously so.

I can't help but smile, "I'm happy for you, babe. I can't believe you met a guy at the supermarket. So rom-com of you. Will he be coming out for your birthday with us in a couple of weeks?"

"I'm not sure yet, Laur. It might be a little soon for that."

I shrug despite knowing she can't see me over the phone, "Meh. It's a nightclub. Hardly an intimate scene. I don't think it'd be weird to invite him out."

I absentmindedly walk through a fairly crowded sidewalk, side stepping others who are walking with a purpose. The warm afternoon sun beats upon my face and chest, filling me with warmth. Though a week into September, the sun continues to bless us with its presence. I'll miss the warm weather when it's gone.

"Yeah, maybe you're right," Sami relents, the smile in her voice evident.

"Of course I am. It's been a while since you've found someone to be excited about. Don't overthink it."

"Ha! You're one to talk. Let's not even go there, yeah?"

With a sigh I admit, "Okay, I deserved that. Kinda. Ugh, you know I hate it when you call me out on my bullshit."

"That's what I'm here for, babe. Who else is going to tell you when you're being an insufferable hypocrite?"

I scoff, "Um, rude." She laughs. "Okay, enough already. You know I'll be getting enough of this talk shortly."

"Your mom is not that bad, Laur. She just wants what we all want—for you to be happy. Besides, it's just lunch."

I love my mother, of course. I think she just had different expectations of what my life would look like at this point. I guess she's not totally wrong. I'm pushing 30-years-old, I'm unmarried—hell, single, really—living alone, and debatably, emotionally unavailable.

So, I can see why she'd be worried for me, especially when compared to my sister, Nicole. She's a teacher, lives close to home, has an adorable puppy, and is engaged to a wonderful guy named Josh. She even knits—cue eye-roll. They're really happy, and I'm happy for her. But dammit, she makes me look bad.

"Then you go with her," I pout.

"You know I would. Joan is a great time," Sami teases.

I roll my eyes, "That's just because she likes you more than me."

"That's true."

I shake my head. This girl.

***

Old school alternative music plays overhead, borderline pop-like in nature. It's catchy, distracting me from the conversations that float around us. My foot taps on its own accord, matching the beat.

"Are you listening to me?"

I look up to see familiar, grayish eyes on mine. Thin, black eyeliner makes them pop, providing a beautiful contrast on her comely face. Her soft, brown hair with wisps of gray is pulled back in a sophisticated half-up, half-down hairdo. A few laugh lines grace her otherwise unblemished face—an insight to her playful demeanor.

"Sorry, Mom. This song just reminds me of high school," I say with a slow grin.

She smiles, and I'm happy to find that it still brings me comfort. "I thought it sounded vaguely familiar. I have distant memories of you and Sami blaring this in your room, probably to hide whatever shenanigans you were up to at the time," she teases.