Chapter 35

Day +6

There's just... so much poop.

Sarah and I are—begrudgingly—performing a rectal irrigation on an extremely constipated five-year-old patient. A long, red-rubber catheter protrudes from his rectum, covered in lube. Sarah hands me a syringe filled with sterile water, which I quickly insert into the catheter's opening. Once secure, I push the contents of the syringe through the tube and into the patient. Once the water is in, I pinch the end of the catheter with my fingers, thankful for the invention of gloves. After a moment, I release my hold on the catheter, allowing the water to flow out of the patient and into a basin. The water is tinged brown, murky and pungent.

The order indicates we are to instill two full liters of water into the patient in this manner, patiently allowing it to flow out of him. The goal is to continue until the water loses its color, an indication that the majority of the compacted bowel has been loosened. With each pass, the water becomes darker and darker, a clear indication it is filled with fecal material.

Nurse life.

The patient screams and cries, verbalizing his displeasure with our manipulations of his rectum—a sentiment most people would agree with. Sarah maintains a professional facial expression, in no way hinting that she's almost wrist-deep in pure, liquid bowel. We work as quickly as possible, frowning when we notice that the water only seems to be getting darker.

We've been doing this for nearly an hour, and every minute has made me question all of my life choices.

Who knew nurses did this shit? Because no one told me.

Sarah catches my eye and smiles, trying to hold in her laughter at our current situation. Wordlessly she conveys to me exactly what I'm thinking... we definitely don't get paid enough for this.

After a full hour of torture, Sarah and I exit the patient's room, both a little worse for wear. My hands are red and raw from scrubbing them, and I briefly wonder if I'll ever really be clean again.

"Hey guys, check your email," Joe yells to us in passing, walking into the supply room.

Great. Another email.

***

To: All Union Represented Nurses

From: Tabitha Lockhart, Nursing Union Leader & Spokesperson

Subject: Negotiations Update

As you know, we have been meeting with the hospital's bargaining team to try to achieve the best contract for youthe hardworking backbone of this institution. Without you and your invaluable knowledge and skills, this hospital would not be able to function. As you are aware, the institution continues to expand their programs and outreach within the community, which has ultimately increased the acuity level of the patients within the hospital system. We take care of some of the sickest patients in the state, and our level of expertise reflects that. The hospital continues to require more from usmore patients, more knowledge, more interventions, all while providing us with lessless resources, less compensation, fewer benefits.

We're tired. We're tired of being unappreciated, under-compensated, understaffed, and under-resourced. We're tired of the hospital undermining our every request, unwilling to compromise in any way.

The hospital claims they cannot afford to grant sustainable cost of living raises. Meanwhile, our Chief Nursing Officer received a $250,000 bonus check last year, and the hospital has been erecting new buildings throughout the city, some of which are located in Denver's priciest neighborhoods. This 'non-for-profit' institution reported a surplus of 1.3 million dollars just two years ago. And as you recently became aware, the Executive for Medical Affairs of the hospital just received a 38% pay increase. The money is there. It's just lining the pockets of those in charge.