Chapter 13

Soft, ambient light pushes its way through my closed bedroom blinds, stirring me. Persistent, it dances across the room, tenderly making its arrival known with gentle touches of warmth. It travels gracefully and for a while, I allow myself to simply admire how beautifully it highlights all that it falls upon.

Beside me, dark strands of hair contrast against an ivory pillow, revealing a copper tint under the scrutiny of sunlight. My cheek is pressed snuggly against a warm chest—comfortable despite the firm muscle slowly rising and falling with each breath. A built arm is wrapped around my shoulders, contributing to the peaceful feeling that has settled within me. My hand is resting upon a toned abdomen, a light trail of hair bristling under my movements.

I close my eyes to savor the moment. A long inhale, exhale. The room smells of Logan's masculine presence, putting me at ease. My right leg is draped over his, my naked hip pressed against his side. His alarm has yet to disturb our bliss. A small, gray analog clock on my nightstand displays the time—7:53 am.

Last night was... wow. I've always liked it a little rough, but the way he effortlessly transitioned from sweet and tender to domineering and powerful was like nothing I've ever experienced before. Even the more depraved moments were performed with the sole intention of making me feel good. I just can't believe how well he was able to read my body and its responses to how much I loved everything he did to me, for me.

After, he gathered me in his arms like I was one of his most cherished possessions. We went to bed, too exhausted to shower or change or do anything else. I laid in his arms as he gently stroked his fingers up and down my back. Soft, tender kisses were peppered upon my forehead, my shoulder, my lips—anywhere his mouth could reach easily. Soft vibrations from his chest perfectly represented how satisfying the moment was. No words were said as we both basked in the afterglow of the moment before drifting to sleep.

I sigh.

In my heart, I know I need to address all the emotions Logan provokes within me. I can no longer deny what he's making me feel. I can't deny that the sound of his voice eases me. His laugh burrows under my skin, shaking me awake from the inside out. His eyes undo me, truly see me—all that I am and all that I'm not. His arms make me feel safe, cared for, protected. And I think... I think he might feel it too.

I just... I hope he truly has room for me somewhere in his heart. I hope I'm not just a distraction from the pain and worry he has over his daughter. I've seen the devastation cancer wreaks over established families, never mind budding relationships. How did I get here? Once again, perched in front of this awful disease, placing my heart in harm's way as I try to protect those I care about from its effects. How did this permeate into every aspect of my life?

Martyrdom is a heavy burden, and I don't know if I'm strong enough.

"Mmm," his chest vibrates with his groan. A kiss to my forehead. "Been up long?" His voice is gruff, sexy.

I grin, "Not long."

Before he can respond, my hand starts to travel, fingertips lightly grazing his lower abdomen. He turns to me and returns my grin.

"And what do you think you're doing?"

"Oh, nothing." My voice is light, clear that mischief is managing my movements. His lips meet my forehead once more as my hand attempts to wrap itself around his thick, hard cock.

I love mornings.

Shifting myself, I pull myself away from his hold. I swing a leg over his waist, straddling him. My core pools with moisture as the most intimate parts of our naked bodies make contact. His hands reflexively land on my waist, and I take a moment to appreciate how little they make me feel. I look down at the celestial man below me, appreciating the view. His tousled bed head, his strong jaw with just a hint of stubble, his full lips pulled into a satiated grin, his defined pecs with a light smattering of hair. Unsatisfied with just the perusal of him, I lean down and place slow, appreciative kisses on his neck, his chest, his stomach. My rapacious tongue juts out, licking, tasting, caressing. My soaking pussy lips graze the edge of his hard cock as I shift forward and back on him, creating a delicious friction. Appreciative sighs and groans come from above me, and I have to hold his forearms down to his sides and I continue my offering to him.