6 | stranger in the bedroom

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚒𝚡 ─ 𝚜𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚋𝚎𝚍𝚛𝚘𝚘𝚖*𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚔𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚢𝚗'𝚜 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎

*𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚔𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚕𝚢𝚗'𝚜 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎

My mother had always wanted the perfect daughter. She wanted the quiet reserved type who always did what she was told and focused on her academic studies 24/7. I wasn't that.

I was loud and disobeyed her orders a lot. I was rowdy and always spoke my mind. I was vengeful and liked to embarrass her in front of her friends on purpose. So, when I told her I was leaving to move to New York at eighteen, you just imagine her reaction. She was happy to kick me out. I bit back and told her I was moving to become a fashion designer and was going to bring staying with some guy.

There was no guy.

I still hear her words in my mind when I doubt myself, "You're nothing." The words spat like they didn't mean anything to her.

Now I'm trying to prove her wrong. I'm going to make it in this business, it just takes time. It takes hard work and a positive work ethic, two things which I have. I'm only twenty-two, and I'm say I'm doing pretty good for myself.

Once and a while, I'll still wish I were like Maria. She's quiet, gorgeous, and keeps to herself. She's tall, blonde, a model, and she always knows exactly what to say. I wonder sometimes if that's the reason everyone is immediately drawn to her.

A pounding headache spreads across my head as I wake up. Glancing to my right, I see a tan guy with dark brown hair and broad shoulders. This one was a work of art.

I had no time to gush over him before I heard the opening of the front door and a loud slam. Maria was home.

My eyebrows shoot up, and I look under the blanket at my exposed body. Quickly, throwing a t-shirt and a pair of panties on, I rush out the room making sure to close the door behind me.

She looked terrible. Tired, disheveled, and clearly frustrated, she collapses onto a stool at the island counter.

"Good morning." I say, peering over at her.

She groans.

"It's 12 pm." Maria mumbles, covering her face with her arms.

"Oh." I clear my throat, "Where were you?"

"Nowhere important. Just some guy from last night, and no, we did not sleep together." She explains, and I nod my head.

"Well, I did sleep with someone. Their in my room right now." I point a thumb over my shoulder. She rolls her eyes.

"Of course."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing, Katie, it means nothing." I give her a skeptical look, and she bites her lip.

"Okay, here's what's going to happen. I'm going to tell my little friend to leave, and we'll watch Pocahontas together." I reach for her hand, but she stands up quickly, an uneasy look on her face.

"I-I... um... not today, Katie. I think I'll just go to my room."

"But you're always in your room." I shoot, and she freezes.

"No, I'm not. We just went out last night."

"Don't lie. You're always either in your room or up on the roof. What are you even doing in there?"

"I don't want to do anything with you, Katelyn, so just leave me alone."

I frown.

"No, come on. Let's watch a movie, bunny."

"I already said no. Stop fucking pushing it." She storms toward her bedroom, but is stopped by the guy from last night.

"Woah, ladies." He speaks and I feel guilty as butterflies flutter in my stomach. He looked even better from the front with a pretty face and toned torso. Probably one of the best guys I've ever slept with.

Maria gasps, her back hitting the hallway wall.

"What are you doing here?" She gave a confused look, and I look back and forth between them.

"Maria, who's this?" I ask, and she rolls her eyes.

"Oh bloody hell, Kate, did you really have to go and sleep with Adrian Moretti?"

"Adrian fucking Moretti!" My eyes widen. A Moretti was standing in my apartment? The Moretti's were like Justin Bieber's of New York. Except they just didn't sing... that I knew of.

"See, she knows who I am." He winks at me, and my mouth drops open as I realize it was him. He was standing in my hallway without a shirt on. Oh my fucking hell.

"I had sex with you." I narrow my eyes at him, and lean against the edge of the table to steady myself, "I had sex with you."

"You said that twice." He says making Maria hit him on the arm, "Okay, that hurt."

"When I took you to the party I didn't think you would go right along and sleep with the guy." Maria quips, and I roll my eyes.

"We were drunk!"

"Actually, I wasn't." Adrian cut in, and we both send him a look, "So, where were you last night?" He ignores his comment and asks Maria.

"Christian's penthouse... anyways that's not important-"

"What!" He almost screams, and we both stare at him with wide eyes, "Did you sleep together?"

"No." She shrugs, "I slept in his guest bedroom."

"You slept in Christian Moretti's penthouse!" I exclaim but am ignored.

"Interesting." He narrows his eyes at her suspiciously, and she gives a nervous laugh.

"Interesting? Interesting why?" I inquire and a wide grin spreads across Adrian's face as realizes something.

"The only people Christian has ever let stay in his guest rooms were..."

"Were what?" I push him.

"Well, they were family."