25 | cousins

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎 ─ 𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚜𝚒𝚗𝚜

It was sort of cliché how my hands were tied behind my back and I was left in the dark without knowing where I was. It was a cliché kidnapping. The only reason I could think of as to why this was happening was they wanted something from Christian. I knew he was dangerous, but I didn't know he was this kid of dangerous. I never thought anything would happen to me.

I sit in that metal chair for who knows long. The metal as cold against my thighs which peeked out from under my short sundress. I heard nothing. No talking. No footsteps. Nothing. Just the silence and me.

Tears begin to pool in my eyes and I can't stop them from falling. I scream in anger and begin writhing my wrists against the rope tying them together in hopes of escape, but there wasn't any. Even if I managed to get the ropes off I still didn't know where I was. There could be bodyguards right outside of the door, and hell, I didn't even know where the door was in this pitch black darkness.

After what I knew had been a few hours, the lights slowly came on, surprising me after being in the dark for so long. I saw that I was in a small room with a concrete floor and walls. I look up to see the man from earlier. He was tall and intimidating with light brown curly hair, the same blue green eyes as me, scruff on his jaw, and tattoos up his arms.

I glare at him as he enters, but he just shoots me a small smirk.

"Where the hell am I." I grit through my teeth.

"An abandoned building. Where else?" He scoffs, "We kidnapped you." He says like it's obvious.

"Why am I here? Is it because of Christian?" He rolls his eyes when I say his name. He crosses his arms and leans back against the wall behind him.

"He plays a part in it, but he isn't the reason." He glances away from me, "Grandfather's the one who should be telling you this, but I'm just going to do it 'cause I'm bored."

"What?" He didn't give me a chance to protest before he began speaking.

"First things first don't even try to lie to me about how your parents died because I already know-"

"Can we not talk about that." I cut him off.

"Fine," He scoffs, "There's no easy way to say this, Maria, but your father is not who you thought he was."

"Uh, yeah, I think I already knew that." I quipped making him roll his eyes again.

"After your parent's death they changed your last name to Wilson which was your mother's maiden name. Your original last name was Romano, and your father... he, uh, dammit it... he was a son of the Italian mafia." He goes out as just says it leaving me absolutely stunned.

I can't even string together a sentence as I try to wrap my head around the news he just told me. It can't be true. It just can't. It didn't even make sense.

"Your father... he was in love and didn't want anything to do with the mafia, so he left and ran away with your mother to London where... I guess... they had you." I glance up through tear filled eyes to meet his sad ones which looked down at me with pity.

"He didn't love us." I manage choke out, "A-And why didn't anyone come for me? My parents died, and n-no one claimed me. I grew up alone. In foster care and group homes." Tears fell freely from my cheeks now, and I felt my chest grow heavier as my mind swarmed with millions of questions.

"Grandfather... he didn't know you existed. Until a couple years ago..." The man looked as if he wanted to step closer to me, but something stopped him.

"He never looked for me... no one did." I whisper mostly to myself, but he heard me.

"He wanted to find you and meet you, but he was nervous. He didn't know how to, Maria, please, are you alright?" The snarky man from the day before was gone and I only saw a weak one who looked as if he could shed tears for me. I didn't want him too.

"No." I grit through my teeth as my expression turned into a glare. I felt myself shaking and the only thing holding me up was the chair beneath me.

"I'm so sorry." He takes a step toward me and reaches out with his hand, but I scream at him to stop.

"Who the hell are you!" I cry, "Please just let me go!"

"I'm your cousin, Maria," He answers, a sad tone to his voice, "Emil Romano."

I sob quietly to myself, "Please, I just want Christian."

"You must understand, the Moretti's are our rivals... our enemies, Maria, they're a danger to our family-"

"I am not apart of your family!" I scream at him, "I never was and I never will be!"

He crouches down until he meets my level. The sad man from before was gone and was replaced by a cold one instead.

"Wrong choice of words, piccolina, the first thing you should know about us Italians is that we value family. It is the most important thing to us." He looks me up and down, "The Moretti's don't give a shit about you. You're a Romano, Maria. Our family feud has lasted years." He smirks slightly, "So, I don't expect anyone to come for you, and if they try to take you from us... well, let's just say they won't have their desired fate."

He stands up and turns around, "It was nice to meet you, cousin."

I watch him walk out the door, my hatred growing for him with every second. The door shuts loudly enclosing me in darkness yet again and leaving me with the unfair information he dropped on my shoulders.

I did have a family.

They just didn't care enough to want me.