9 | pool water

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚗𝚒𝚗𝚎 ─ 𝚙𝚘𝚘𝚕 𝚠𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛

Christian explained to me in detail how everything was going to work out. Next Wednesday was a dinner between him and his family. It would be small, just his parents, grandparents, Adrian, and his older sister- Amalea.

He was lucky to have a family.

I would come for other occasions to make his father really believe we were together. We would pretend to talk, and sit near we other at all times. We even came up with rules:

1. Absolutely no kissing.

2. No talking about the relationship with other people without talking to each other about it first.

3. If his family says something rude to me, don't say anything. They're going to be hard on me on purpose.

For me, we agreed to leave the venue together, so the paparazzi could see me walk out with him. We would stop at my apartment to get me clothes then I would stay at his penthouse until Wednesday so we could have time to come up with a backstory.

We were liars.

"Are you... okay with all this?" He asks me, and I bit my lip nervously.

I wasn't really, but I had to be right? I felt like I was using him. Pretending to be someone's girlfriend was one thing, but using his fame to make a career for myself was something totally different. It didn't make me feel good about myself.

"It's fine." I finally reply, "It has to be. Being forced into marriage is a terrible thing. Especially if you don't even know who it is."

He looks at me. Almost in... awe? No. Not that. Not of me.

"...this means to me." He speaks, but I'm not paying attention, "Did you hear me, Maria?"

I snap back into reality, tearing my gaze away from his eyes.

"No, sorry, what did you say?" I ask. He rolls his eyes, annoyed.

"Finish your food."

Here we were, again, back at his luxurious over the top penthouse. The unnecessarily big room had high ceilings, and one of those modern contemporary sphere chandeliers hung down from the top. There was even a set of contemporary couches to match.

A grand piano sat behind one of the couches and I could oddly imagine Christian playing it. Of course he'd be great at it.