16 | out on the town

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗 ─ 𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚘𝚠𝚗

I fell asleep soundly that night for the first time in years. I had never sleep in someone's arms before. I had never felt someone's warmth beneath me, someone's arms around me. It was odd. For the first since the accident, I felt safe. I felt safe in Christian Moretti's arms.

When I woke up I was alone. Since it was ten am I could only assume he had been up already for a while. He never slept in.

I, on the other hand wish I could get one more hour in, but I knew more people were coming today and I needed to go meet them.

So I drag myself out of bed and to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I find a cute white sundress to wear, and I quickly do my hair and makeup.

"Maria?" Someone calls my name, and I go to see who it is as I put in my other hoop earring. Amalea peers through the crack in the door, opening it all the way when she sees me.

"I was just coming to see if you were up." She feels the need to explain herself, and I nod.

"Buongiorno!" I say good morning to her in Italian as I came to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Buongiorno." She says back, smiling, "How was your first night here?"

"Very good." I reply, and she looks me up and down.

"You don't talk much, huh?" She asks and I shrug.

"Your brother once asked me the same thing." I laugh softly. She walks over to sit next to me.

"So... I know you and Christian are lying." She says abruptly. I freeze.

"W-What."

"About how you met?" She raised her eyebrows, "It's probably a very... different story. I understand why you didn't want to say it in front of our parents."

"Oh."

"Don't worry. I'm not going to ask." She nudges my shoulder, "Anyways, how are you always wearing the cutest things?"

"Well, you brother actually picked out everything. I didn't bring enough clothes so he had to buy me some things." I shrug again, a little nervous.

"God, you're so tense." She laughs, "Maybe we should do something today."

"Yeah, maybe." I murmur quietly. Amalea grabs my hand and leads me downstairs. I knew she wasn't being nice just to be. I could tell she wanted information. She was suspicious, and just like her brother...