26 | helen of troy

𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚝𝚠𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚢 𝚜𝚒𝚡 ─ 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚗 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚛𝚘𝚢*𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚌𝚑𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚊𝚗'𝚜 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎

*𝚏𝚛𝚘𝚖 𝚌𝚑𝚛𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚊𝚗'𝚜 𝚙𝚎𝚛𝚜𝚙𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚟𝚎

I never thought being away from her was ever going to be this hard. Before we left we planned to go our separate ways after the trip, but now... I didn't want to leave her. Not now and not ever.

"At least she's not in danger." Adrian glanced over at me, but I ignored him. With one hand on the wheel, we drove down the highway toward the address one of our spies gave us. She was there.

"This is like Helen of Troy." A quiet voice said from the backseat, "Two sides raging a war over one woman... one beautiful blonde woman."

I glanced at Katelyn in the rear view mirror, "I'm getting her back."

"Yeah, and I have no doubt that you won't, Christian, but look at the facts! This is her family and they want her back." She raised her voice causing me to raise mine.

"Well, think, Katelyn! If you really knew Maria you'd know she wouldn't be happy about this. She was alone for 9 years, and no one cared. No one tried to look for her. Why do they give a damn about her now!" I almost shouted making Adrian send a glare my way.

"They only took her because they knew she was with you!" Katelyn leaned forward in the middle seat behind me, "And don't assume you know Maria better than I do. I've known her for two years and you've known her for a couple weeks-"

"Shut the fuck up, Katelyn!" I yelled, "You don't understand."

"Maybe I don't." She murmured quietly, and sat back down on the seat. She was right. She didn't understand and she never would.

No one in this car understood what it was like to have everything and then lose it in the blink of an eye. She was gone. I was going to get her back, but there was still the feeling in the pit of my stomach that she was gone for good. What if they got to her and it was too late. She wasn't in danger, which I suppose what the bright side, but there still was a chance she'd want to stay. A chance she'd rather be with her "family" than me.

I just got her and I wasn't ready to let her go so soon. I don't think I ever would be ready.

It scared me what I would do for this girl.

We pulled up to an abandoned building which looked to be as if it used to be a factory of some sort. Adrian gave me a look once we stepped out of the car and I knew he was telling me to be careful. I could be reckless and he knew it. While he may have been stupid at times, Adrian acted on his smarts first while I acted on my emotions. He might've been too late though, because my emotions were already driving me.

I opened the truck and tossed him a gun. Glancing at Katelyn, I decided to give her one too just in case she got in trouble.

"You know how to use it?" I asked her, a calm tone in my voice, hoping to forget the argument from before.

"I've used one once or twice." She replied, grabbing the weapon from my hand. I glanced down at the other gun in my right hand. The metal was cool to the touch and felt so familiar in my grasp as if I were greeting an old friend. It almost sent chills down my spine.

I looked up at the old building. Part of me wanted to leave her there let her be with her family. Maybe she could grow to be happy. Maybe they could fill the hole I knew she had in her heart. That was also the part of me that told me I was too cold. Too ruthless. Too dangerous to be able to keep her safe. If she was with me I could never guarantee her safety. My family had many enemies and there were too many ways she could get hurt, but... the other part of me wasn't ready to give up on her. Once she came into my life it changed. I didn't want to go back to the way it was. I didn't want to go aback to the long days filled with work, liquor, and the loneliness of my empty penthouse. Days were the only human interactions I had were between my colleagues, my family, and the drunk people at parties Adrian threw where I drank my life away.

Maria saw the world differently.

I didn't know her secret... but I knew somehow she understood what I had been through. Even if she didn't know, our trauma was similar. We were both broken. They say two wrongs don't make a right, but in this case it did. I wanted her back, and I would do anything. To insanity.

"I'll go in first," Adrian said, "To cover you."

"I'm going to go find her." I glanced toward Katelyn who was like a dead weight on my ankle at the moment. She probably had no combat training whatsoever, "You. Stick with Adrian."

"Me? What? No!" She frowned, "I'm coming with you to look for her!" I glared at Adrian. Why did he have to bring this annoying monello on a trip with us. He seriously couldn't have picked anyone else? (brat)

"It's dangerous." I replied coldly, "I'm sure Maria wouldn't want you hurt."

"Does it honestly look like I care?" She scoffed, "Look I'm coming with you Christian whether you like it or not."

I shot another glare at Adrian, daring him to stop her. He did nothing.

"Fine." I muttered then turned around, "Let's go." We started toward the building and as said, Adrian went first. There were only a few guys on the first floor that him and I took out pretty quickly. Katelyn mostly stayed behind us, not even having to use the weapon I had given her. I knew there would be more men coming soon though. Someone probably called for backup, but it was a good thing I did too.

I signal at Adrian to head up the stairs. He nodded back and we quietly ascended the staircase upward. I hide behind the wall and peer around it to find about six guys standing guard and two guarding one specific door. That was probably it. I turn swiftly and fired two shots. Suddenly, dozens bullets began hitting the wall next to me, and I fell back against the wall behind me to take cover. I heard footsteps and threw a punch once they came closer. The guy threw one back at me and we began fighting. Each trying to take the other down. Adrian grazed past me and decided to take on one of the other guys. Once I got the one on the ground I hit him across the face with the back on my gun and shot him twice. When I looked back to make sure Katelyn was okay I stumbled back a bit.

She was gone.