Chapter One - Geronimo

17th May 2020

I walked happily down the streets of London. In one hand, the GPS on my phone telling how to get to BBC studios. In the other, a fresh caramel latte from a nearby Costa. I took a sweet sip as I crossed the zebra crossing.

I was excited. Too excited, I thought to myself. I kept on telling myself that there was always a possibility that I didn't make the cut, that Doctor Who didn't like my acting skills. I knew they had high expectations, and hopefully I could meet them.

Not to mention my crush on Jodie. She was so pretty, funny and full to the brim of energy and enthusiasm. I mean, what was there not to like? This job would be a dream come true.

I re-focused on the GPS, acknowledging its beep to tell me to turn to take a shortcut through Hyde Park. I didn't remember that shortcut from previous trips, so I paused mid-step for a second.

But, it may have updated, I thought. So I shrugged and continued, taking a warm gulp of caramel.

As soon as the cup left my lips, I was knocked forwards onto the pavement. I felt my left cheek scratch and hot pain in my arm from the drink.

'Owwww.' I moaned quietly.

'I'm so sorry! Are you okay?' said a frantic woman with a familiar Yorkshire accent. No..it couldn't be. Could it?

'Uh...yeah. I'm......fine.' I said as I propped myself up on my elbows. As the woman's face came into view, I gasped a little. It was! Jodie Whittaker was bent over my bag, piling my stuff into it.

'It's fine, I'll do it.' I walked over and helped.

'I really am so sorry...sorry what's your name?' she asked me.

I had to pause. Hearing her voice almost stunned me. 'Er, Y/N.'

I picked up the full bag and slung it over my shoulder. 'Well, hello Er Y/N. Nice to meet you.' Jodie chuckled, holding a hand out for me to shake. 'Oh, your top!' she added.

I peered at my jumper and saw a large coffee stain all over it.

'I really am so sorry, Y/N! Where were you heading?'

'It's fine, really. I was just trying to find the BBC studios. Got an audition to get to for 11.'

'I was heading that way actually. How about we get you cleaned up? We want you looking your best for that audition, don't we?'

'Er, okay then.' I said, and we started walking through Hyde Park.

Our shoulders brushed a few times, by accident I think, and an electric shock went through me each time. I had to control my breathing to make myself seem calm.

I couldn't stop staring at her either. The way her hair moved perfectly in time with her stride, her laughing eyes, her warm voice. I couldn't find a fault.

'So, what's the audition for? Anything nice?' Jodie asked.

I wasn't sure whether I should tell her. Firstly, I may not even get the job. Secondly, even if I did, I'd like it to be a small surprise. I settled with a brief description.

'It's quite a....big job, and it's for my favourite show. I'm really excited.'

'Which show? Or can't you tell me yet?'

'Nah..sorry.'

—————————————————————————————————————————

'There we are then.' said Jodie as we left the counter at BBC Studios.

'Chr- I mean the Showrunner said I should wait over in Waiting Room 1 until 11.' I explained, heading over to the group of red seats.

'Are you sure you're okay here Y/N? I could wait with you if you like.'

'I'm fine, thanks Jodie.' I shook a little with excitement when saying her name. It still felt unreal, that I was talking to her.

'Okay then. Good luck with the audition.' Jodie sighed. 'Oh, here's my number, in case you need anything.' She handed me a piece of paper with an 11-digit number written across it, with 'Just in case! Jodie X' underneath.

I stared at it. She....no. God, Y/N. Stop being an idiot. Friends put a kiss on the end of everything these days. But, did that mean we were friends now?

I looked up to confirm, but she had already gone. I folded it up neatly and placed it in the breast pocket of my top for safe keeping.

'Y/N L/N?' called the receptionist. I stood up. 'Through there into Room 6.'