Chapter Eight - Love Too Much

WARNING: CONTAINS ONE EVENT OF SWEARING.

(same day, a few hours later)

At about half six, Mandip decided she wanted to go back to the hostel early because she needed a bit of nap ready for filming tomorrow. That left Jodie and I, alone.

We decided to watch the sunset, so we found a path leading to the South West of the island and sat on a small mound facing the ocean.

We sat together for a while, gazing at the golden disc and the orange streaks in the sky around it. Behind us, the landscape was turning darker, with one or two twinkly diamonds beginning to appear.

Jodie peered around where we were sitting. She started picking some daises that weren't closed up and began making some sort of chain with them.

I myself was calm, and because of this I shuffled a teensy bit over to Jodie. She didn't seem to notice, still focused on her daisy chain, so I went a little closer until our hips almost touched. That was enough.

After about five or six minutes, Jodie held up her now 15 inch long chain and sighed happily.

"Look at that! Perfect!" she exclaimed.

"What're you gonna use it for? It's a bit long for a bracelet isn't it?" I asked.

She turned to me, with it cocked in the cutest way possible, and raised an eyebrow.

"For you of course! The white goes really well with your top, so you could wear it as some sort of necklace maybe."

"Oh. Thank you!" I stumbled. That was so sweet of her!

"Turn around and I'll put it on for you."

I did so, meaning that if I moved any further back I'd be sat on her knee. Thinking about it, that wouldn't have been so bad.

I gasped and giggled as her cold hands brushed against my neck, trying to join it together. "Argh! Come on! Tie together will you?" Jodie pleaded with the necklace, making me laugh even more.

"Finally! Turn back around and let's see it on ya."

I turned back to face her, but she didn't react.

"Does it look alright?" I questioned. Jodie nodded.

"Yeah, just one second."

She reached over and fiddled with the end of it near my chest. I could feel her fingers trying to balance it out, and occasionally slightly lifting the edge of my top. My breathing started to become shallow until she finished with a grin on her face.

"Aw that looks great on you!"

"Er, why don't we take a selfie together with the sunset?" I suggested.

"Sure!"

I got my phone out and went straight to Instagram selfie mode. Eventually, I managed to get the sea, the horizon, me and Jodie in the picture. It had a count down from 5 as well, giving us time to pose properly.

"Cheese!" I said and put the biggest natural smile I could manage on my face. Jodie did to, but at the 1 second mark she slung an arm round mine and pulled our heads right next to one another's, almost banging them together, again.

I added the caption

Amazing sunset with this amazing woman with me! 🌅

to which Jodie chuckled. "I'm not amazing, am I?"

"Course you are! You're so brilliant!"

I replied to her happily, but immediately covered my mouth afterwards. That was a really, really big mistake.

Shit.

I turned quickly back the sinking sun just as it fell below the sparking sea, and a few tears pricked in my eyes.

"Sorry." I whispered.

"What're you apologising for?"

"I don't know.."

"Then don't! You can't go around apologising to people when you don't need to! They'll take advantage of you Y/N!"

I sighed and wiped my eyes. At least she was fine with it. Mutual friendship stuff, that's all.

"Come on, we'd better get back." Jodie said, getting up and stretching. I did too, get my and her bag.

"Race ya to the path." she asked me.

"Fiiine." I moaned. I arched my back and it made a few cracking noises, making both of us giggle.

"Right. On three." I said. "One..........two........hey!" I shouted after Jodie, who was already hurling down the hill. She just whooped, jumping in the air before carrying on, so I broke into a run.

My feet leaped over the grass and rock with occasional stumbles, yelling out with delight. I saw that we were nearing the path so I increased my speed, now a metre behind.

"You're never gonna catch me!" Jodie called to me.

She was right. She reached the path a few seconds before me, lazily flinging her arms in the air with an enormous winning grin on her face. Her hair was all messed up from running so fast and her forehead shine with sweat. She still looked so pretty.

"I think I've got a stitch." I bent over, holding my side.

"Same. Sorry, that was a bit unfair." Jodie panted.

"It's fine, I needed that. Let's head off; there's a gate way over there look." I said, suddenly bolting towards it.

"Oi! You can't get me back!" she shouted after me.

"Already have!" I answered, laughing my head off.

——————————————————————————————————————————————

After almost an hour and a half of continuous travelling, sometimes running sometimes walking, we finally got to the hostel. By now it was almost half eight, and everyone was socialising in the kitchen/diner/sitting area.

Four played cards at the round table, three sat on a sofa and everyone else leant on the table, all chatting away. Mandip was reading on a sofa beneath the window, and got up when we burst in, all red-faced and breathless.

"God, you guys look like you ran half way here!" she exclaimed, getting up.

"We have. We were just watching the sunset together at the South. It was really cool." Jodie explained, flopping down on the sofa and sighing with total exhaustion.

"Nice necklace by the way Y/N." she also pointed out.

"Thanks! Jodie made it for me." I said proudly. Jodie gave me a tired-out thumbs up as Mandip and I sat down next to her.

"Have a good nap then?" Jodie asked Mandip.

She looked a little confused for a second before saying, "Oh yeah. Yeah I feel more refreshed now thanks. Anyway, you guys are gonna need some rest before filming. We've still got the second episode to film you know!"

We eventually got to our room at ten, after chatting and having a tiny drink first of course. My bed was opposite Jodie's, so I had a full view of her.

She looked really cute when she dozed, with a wisp or two of golden hair dangling on her face. Every time she breathed softly out, the strands fluttered in the air for second before falling again. The way she slept with her mouth a bit open was so adorable.

I found myself staring at her for ages, before finally closing my eyes, her image still in my head, forming my dreams.