Chapter Nine - Girls Like Girls

14th June 2020

Jodie's POV

I woke up to the sound of the shower coming on from the en-suite. I looked across the room and saw that Y/Ns bed was empty, and that it was 7am. Today was filming for Episode 4, and we were staying at a hotel in Cape Town, South Africa.

I got up and dressed, hearing Y/N get in the shower, playing music on her phone which I could hear from where I was. She began to sing 'Call Me Maybe'.

She had a beautiful voice, hitting every high, medium and low note in the song, even though she was singing in a cheesy voice because, after all, it was a well-known cheesy song.

I packed my bag for the day, taking our phones off charge as well. I noticed the melody had changed, now to 'Somebody To You'. You could tell Y/N was having a great time singing it; she had so much feeling in her voice, like the words really meant something to her.

"I've got your photograph,
But baby, I need more than that,
I need to know your lips,
Nothing ever mattered to me more than this."

I thought hard about the words, how she was singing them. Hm.

Something buzzed in my hand. Y/Ns phone. She seemed like she wasn't gonna be out for a while so I opened the cover and checked the message. I didn't know the password, but I could still see the notification.

It was just a few more likes on her selfie of the both of us at Iona. People were still liking and commenting on it, a few saying how we looked awesome together. I had to agree.

I glanced behind it at the background she had, and my eyes widened. There were about five or six pictures of me, in various photo shoots and interviews, collected together and put on a ombré background. My name was at the bottom, in fancy white italic writing with a heart at the end.

I was so happy. Did she love me? That would be great! Not just great, wonderful! Was this evidence though? Was she just a fan, nothing else? I wasn't sure.

The next song came on, the notes still echoing around the bathroom and coming through the door. I went over to listen, putting my ear right up against it.

Yellow, by Coldplay.

But, it wasn't by Coldplay. Y/N was playing and singing along to the version I did for BBC Children In Need.

She was fantastic at it though. Every word was full of passion and meaning, even more so than the other song. It sounds stupid, but I truly felt like she was singing it to me. Was it because I was right outside the door, I don't know.

"Your ski-in, oh yeah your skin and bone,
Turn i-in to something beautiful,
You kno-ow, for you I'd bleed myself dry.
For you I'd bleed myself dry."

I tried hard to stop myself from crying, because that song meant so much to me as well. My sleeve was almost soaked by the time it was over. I heard Y/N sniff loudly before opening the shower door.

I felt another buzz, but this time it was from my phone. It was a text, from Chris, asking me to meet him ASAP in the hotel lounge. I left Y/Ns phone on her bed and went downstairs, getting rid of any tears that might still be there.

——————————————————————————————————————————

When I got there, Chris was waiting for me, holding a few sheets of paper.

"Hey Jodie, can you have a skim through this and tell me what you think?" He handed me the paper.

"Yeah. Sorry what episode's this for?" I asked, already starting to read.

"Episode Five."

I broke away from the script and just looked at him.

"Blimey! That's next episode isn't it? Didn't you write this ages ago?" I exclaimed.

"We did, but there's a few.......major changes we've made."

"Major?"

"Just have a scan of it and I'll get you a coffee."

"Two sugars please, ta Chris."

The episode started off pretty normal. The Doctor, Yaz and Rhys visit a cinema in a neighbouring galaxy which was showing the creation of the Milky Way. They had to dress quite formal; I noticed I would have to change my outfit again, but still keeping the coat which was okay.

It brought back the Weeping Angels, who are already there, ready for a mass killing of about 400 people. Of course, the Doctor gets everyone out, but not before Rhys gets zapped even further back in time to a different place entirely.

At the end, they finally manage to get Rhys back, but she's pretty traumatised about what happened to her where she was sent. The Doctor look after her, giving her hugs and sitting with her for a while.

During this period, the Doctor and Rhys kiss. Well, Rhys is unconscious, but their lips still meet for the first time that series.

At first, I accepted it. Fine, two people, who happen to both be girls, and one of them an alien, in love.

That's fine.

But a moment later, the realisation actually hit me. I'd kiss Y/N. Y/N would kiss me. We would kiss each other. Wow.

"Of course." started Chris, handing me my coffee. "The question I'm asking is, is that okay with you?"

I was so sure of my answer, but I stayed silent for a few seconds. Why did I do that? Of course it was okay!

"Yep, definitely!" I confirmed.

"Great! I'll just go and tell Y/N."

"Hang on." I stopped him and he turned around. "What if she isn't okay with it?"

I really, really hoped, secretly, that Y/N wanted to. That would be brilliant. If she wasn't....well that was cool obviously, but whatever her decision was, it would tell me if she actually had a crush on me.

"I don't know, but I'll ask her first. Oh, by the way, Olly's picking you three up in his taxi at eight to get to the site."

"Okay thanks."

———————————————————————————————————————————————

Your POV

"Yes!!!" I practically squealed and did a small jump, and then coughed. "I mean, yeah sounds great."

"That's good. Jodie and I were hoping you'd day that!" explained Chris.

"Did she? Oh. That's....er.....nice of her."