Chapter Four - Best Fake Smile

31st May 2020

*Time skip to two weeks later*

I scrolled through the list of new acting jobs on my laptop, still in my pyjamas, Tom having just left for his own job at the garage. It had been two weeks since my audition, and I still hadn't got anything back. I had to assume the worst.

One on the list suddenly caught my eye: 'Last-minute actor/actress needed for romance film as a lead role. Call 0*********4 ASAP.'

I was about to click on it when my phone rang. I flicked open the cover and smiled at Jodies picture, before answering.

"Y/N! How are you?"

"Oh, you know, good."

"You sound down! Still thinking about Olivia?"

"And that. It's just that I haven't heard from Chris since I did the audition, and I've just sort of lost hope. I even found a nice last-minute lead role in a romance that's close to home."

There was silence on the other end of the phone, then some shuffling.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah? You alright?"

"When I tell you this, promise you won't freak out too much."

"Er, okay,"

A long pause and then,

"YOU GOT THE PART!!!!!!!!!!" Jodie yelled down the phone, making my ears ring. "Isn't that great?"

I couldn't speak. I was playing Rhys, a companion to the 13th Doctor, played by Jodie Whittaker. My breathing and heartbeat rocketed as the realisation kicked in.

I could imagine looking like a goldfish; my mouth opening and closing at intervals in an 'O' shape. Once I had fully composed myself, I asked her to repeat herself.

"You're playing Rhys! Oh yeah, Chris said he wants us to get to know each other better. Are you busy Saturday?"

"Don't think so."

"Travellodge, Wembley, noon? Mandip'll be there too."

"Yep."

"See you then Y/N. Oh, one more thing."

"Hm?"

"Congratulations!"

"Thanks Jodie." The words still felt exotic on my tongue. "See you then."

"Bye."

"Bye."

—————————————————————————————————————

Saturday - 2nd June 2020

After getting my room (which had two single beds for some reason), I rang the reception bell and a young woman dashed in. "How can I help you?" she asked, out of breath but with a big smile.

"Er, I've been told a party of four is booked in for tonight. Do you know where they are?"

"Ah yes! The Who party are in the sitting room, your first right down that corridor. Have fun!"

I nodded a thanks and took a few deep, calming breaths. I twisted the door knob, whispering to myself that I'd be fine, it's only Jodie.

Only Jodie.

They sat over two sofas, Chris and Mandip on one and Jodie on the other. "Hi Y/N! Come and sit down!" Jodie shuffled up and patted the spot next to her. I obeyed, waving at the others.

Chris said that, before we read-through, us three should get to know each other more, so we began with icebreakers. I felt out of place, since they had been mates for two years. But they treated it no differently to the normal game.

"Okay first question." started Jodie. "What's the one food you guys couldn't live without?"

"Chips. Definitely chips!" giggled Mandip.

"Probably chocolate." I mumbled.

"Aw man, I was thinking one of you would like custard creams like me!" Jodie pouted and I realised I should've said I like them too.

"Alright next one.' said Mandip. 'If you had a TARDIS, when would you go and why?"

"80s. I don't know why, I just love the 80s!" Jodie explained.

"I'm the opposite! The year 3000, because I wanna know if we actually live underwater, like the song." said Mandip.

"Y/N? What about you?" Jodie put a hand on my shoulder making me snap my head up. I realised I had been completely zoning out of the conversation.

"Er, Victorian Age because we had an empire." the words tumbled out.

They nodded but I felt my cheeks getting hotter and hotter. My eyes got wet and I fidgeted about a little. I wasn't sure what was happening.

"Come on, let's go to my room." Jodie whispered in my ear, making me shiver. She didn't mean- no, Y/N, you idiot. Come on stupid, get up and follow her.

I shakily got up and followed her upstairs but she seemed puzzled when we got in. "Did you see anyone come in here?" I looked around and saw my suitcase next to one of the beds. I realised Jodie's was under her own, that's why I hadn't seen it. Oh god, we were sharing a room.

"Sorry, that's mine." I said quietly and sat down.

"Aw, that's great!" she exclaimed, sitting down beside me and putting an arm round my shoulders. I quietly took quick, deep breaths through my mouth to calm myself down. "So what's the problem?"

I couldn't tell her. Of course I couldn't! She'd think I was silly, one fan girl amongst all the rest. Besides, she was married, so there was no point.

"Yeah, just a little nervous that's all. It's my first big job." That was some of the truth at least.

"Aw, that's okay! You were really good in the audition, that's why you got the part Y/N! Plus you have a brilliant personality; polite, funny, kind and brave."

"Pah, I'm not brave." I looked down and fiddled with my fingers.

"Taking on a job like this, on such an iconic show, that's a huge responsibility. So far, you've been doing so well, and no ones even see you yet!"

"So far." I rolled my eyes.

Jodie sighed, and I immediately felt guilty. But it wasn't an annoyed sigh, more of a 'I'm not quite sure what to do' kind of sigh. Almost worse.

I could tell she wanted to know more, or perhaps she already knew. But no one knew that I carried a photo of her in my pocket for good luck, or that I had a box of unsent birthday cards for her.

"Come on, they're probably wondering where we are."