Chapter Two - The Greatest Show

A/N: Anything in bold is acting scenes. This goes for the whole book!

I gathered my belongings and walked to the corridor. The receptionist smiled warmly at me. 'Good luck love!' I nodded a thanks and continued.

When I got to the door, I stopped to get myself in the right mindset. Deep breaths, Y/N. In...........and out...........and in..............and out...............

You can do this. You'll be fine! You're a really good actor, even Chris mentioned it over the phone.

Come on.

I held my breath and opened the door with my eyes closed. I opened them and saw Chris talking to Jodie. So that's why she was coming here! I wasn't prepared for this!

'Nope..' I muttered to myself and turned around, pretending to clean my nails. Too late.

'Y/N!' called Jodie.

I turned back around slowly with a brave smile on my face. She was excitedly waving me over, so I jogged over to the stage.

'Why didn't you tell me you were auditioning here! This is brilliant!' Jodie exclaimed.

I blushed and smiled whilst Chris chuckled.

'I see you and Jodie have already met! The others are behind stage. Are you ready to start or should we wait?'

'Er, we can start now if you like.'

'Great! You'll be after Lucy.' He pointed to a woman about my age with navy and green hair and an abomination of freckles, who gave a wide, over-friendly grin and wave. I returned it with a small gesture and turned back to Chris.

'I trust you've learnt the scene?'

'Yep. Got it here just in case.' I patted my bag.

'You'll be performing in front of Andy, Ray and Claire, just over there, who're our casting team. Good luck!'

'Thanks!'

I held the smile until I got backstage and collapsed into a chair. I just sat there staring at my thighs, feeling the candidate's eyes on me.

To keep myself sane, I kept Jodies image in my head. The fact that this was my chance to work right alongside her was the most exciting thing I'd ever had to hope for.

But I was nervous, too. She was gonna watch me act under pressure, and I was an easy egg to crack.

Time passed, various names were called. I went over and over the script. It was the meeting of Rhys (the character) and the Doctor in the first episode. Yaz was in this scene too, and Mandip was there, which only added to my ongoing nerves.

'Y/N L/N please.' called whom I presumed was Claire.

When I looked up, everyone else was gone. I was last. A few deep breaths and I was on the stage, ready to start, as the lights dimmed to almost blackness...

As I turned back to the house,  the moonlight caught something in a pile of rumble. I repeated the action the test it. Satisfied, I slowly approached it, and gasped. Nestled among the bricks and concrete was a small, gold sphere about three inches long.

I reached out to touch it, but a torch light and a commanding female voice stopped me.

"I would step away if I were you." she said calmly. I gradually removed my hand from the object and squinted when I faced the light.

There was a blonde-bobbed woman with a rainbow-striped navy t-shirt, blueish grey trench coat and brown laced boots holding a tube-like silver device with an orange bulb in the end, pointed at me. She was pretty but had a stern look on her face that meant business.

"Now.....er....hands on your head and stand up." There was some uncertainty in the voice but I did so with a raised eyebrow.

"Alright, step away from the object, and no questions will be asked." said another female voice.

A slightly younger looking, darker-skinned woman stepped out of the dark next to the other, instead wearing a leather jacket and a plait of hair reaching her chest.

The blonde woman turned her head to her partner, the device still pointed at me, and cocked her head pleadingly.

"Aw, please Yaz! Just one question? Just so we can find out a little more about them?"

"Don't we know about them already?"

"Yes but I don't think the TARDIS has enough info on them yet."

I looked between the each of them as the tennis game of discussion continued, occasionally rolling my eyes. The blonde woman was beautiful though.

"Doctor?"

"Hm?"

"I think she can still hear us."

The pair turned back to me and the Doctor (I thought) brought back her stern expression.

"What do you know about the Orb of Haar?"

I pulled a face and brought my hands down.

"Oi! Hands back up!" she snapped.

I hurriedly put them back on my head. "Sorry. But, the Orb of what?"

Now it was the Doctors turn to pull a face. "Wait, you don't you what it is?"

I shook my head but daren't lower my hands. The pair shared a confused look with each other.

"Don't all Karzonians know what the Orb is?" asked the girl who I presumed to be Yaz.

"I'm sorry but I don't know what Karzonians are, or what that Orb is. I just came out here for a nice evening walk and that sphere caught my attention. Now can I please take my hands down? I'm getting a bit of cramp." I explained.

The lights suddenly flooded the stage and I finally brought my arms down, shaking them a little to get rid of the actual cramp I had.

Jodie and Mandip joined me behind stage and actually congratulated me on my acting skills.

"You were brilliant Y/N!" exclaimed Mandip.

"I don't know whether you saw me but I had to try not to laugh during that last bit! You were awesome!" encouraged Jodie.

I just smiled nervously, not quite sure to say, whilst checking my phone. "Thanks guys. I've always loved acting and- oh my god." I whispered the last part.

"Everything okay Y/N?" Jodie asked, putting a shoulder lightly on my shoulder making my shiver. I looked up with a fake smile.

"Yeah, it's fine. I've just gotta dash - my bus'll be leaving soon. Maybe see you later." I said and ran as fast as I could.