Chapter 18 - Riptide

22nd July 2020 - Jodie's POV

Many hours later, we landed in San Diego and got our hotel near the Convention Centre. By the time we got off, went through security and got our suitcases it was nighttime, so we went straight to our rooms.

It was strange with the time zones, because we had traveled back in time a day, so now it was 8pm, Wednesday 22nd July in San Diego, and we set off at 4am, Thursday 23rd July in the U.K!

The next morning, we had until 4pm before we had to go and get ready for 5:30pm, when Comic Con opened to the public. So Jodie, Mandip and I decided to go exploring around San Diego.

We took the taxi all the way over to the East of Mission Bay (somewhere none of us had been before) and made our way down South down Mission Bay park for the whole day...

Leisure Lagoon - around noon.

"God, it's boiling out here!" I exclaimed, taking a gulp of water. "Does anyone know the temperature?"

"Hang on, I've got this thing on my phone. I'll need to go over into the sun to do it though. Back in second." Y/N said, getting up with her phone and jogging over to the edge of the water, where there was the most sun.

Mandip laid down on her blanket and I copied, stretching a out a bit. She turned to me.

"How're you and Y/N doing then?" she asked.

"Pretty good. I think we already had a connection, from the start, and by becoming girlfriends, I think that's just strengthened it." I explained, smiling when I spoke about our relationship.

"Great! Sorry, do I sound like a journalist?"

"A bit." I laughed. "You know, we still haven't thanked you for telling the Doctor Who team for us!"

"No problem. Oh, have you told Chris yet?"

"What, Chris the Showrunner?" I said, confused.

"Nooooo, your husband. You know, the one you're married to."

"Oh yeah." I'd forgotten about Chris. How was I gonna tell him? When? I couldn't just divorce him on the spot, could I?

I glanced over at Y/N and just watched her for a bit. She was hopping around in the heat, obviously frustrated from trying to get the sensor to work. She looked really pretty, with the sun making her hair shine, her eyes bright and her soft skin glow.

I loved her so, so much, but it had all been a bit....fast. Within two months of properly meeting each other, we'd started going out. That was like what kids in early secondary school did.

But we weren't, were we? We'd kissed, plenty of times now, with each one meaning something special. We weren't going out just for show, we truly loved each other.

Did we? I certainly did. I could feel it right in my heartstrings whenever I looked at her. But did she love me properly back? I was a celebrity. Hmm.

"Jodie? Are you alright?" Mandip interrupted my thoughts. She was stood up with a look of concern on her face.

"Yeah, just thinking about.....stuff." I said putting a grin on my face. I was fine. Really, I was completely fine. Yep.

"Okay. Right, I've got an idea." she said excitedly, nodding towards Y/N.

"You or me?" I asked.

"Both of us, one side each?"

"Sounds good. Wait, what about her phone?"

"Didn't she tell you about her waterproof phone case one time? The one she bought after you bumped into one another with coffee and she had to get it fixed?"

"Ohhh yeah. Okay let's go."

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Y/Ns POV:

I had found the temperature ages ago, but just wanted some photos of the lagoon first to send to everyone back home. Just in case I dropped my phone in the sea, which was highly likely considering it was me, I had my waterproof one on.

I was just taking a photo of a bird sitting on a small rock when I felt a big force from behind me, and I was pushed head first into the water.

When I rose to the surface, I saw Jodie and Mandip snickering and giggling with each other on the sand. Jodie found it especially funny, having to lean onto poor Mandip for support. Because of this, she also ended up in the sea with me.

"What was that for?! It was my idea!" she said.

Now Jodie was doubled over with laughter, wiping tears from her eyes. I decided to wade over and pull on her arm until she, too, tumbled in. She got to the top, half-laughing, half-spluttering, shaking her head like a dog to get it dry.

"Oi!" I called to her.

"What? You're wet anyway!"

I rolled my eyes and began to swim over to them. Mandip suddenly scooped her hands in a large cup and splashed me with half a ton of salty water, making turn away and gasp.

"Hey! That went in my eyes!"

But that wasn't the end of it. When I glided over to get Mandip back, my legs were grabbed strongly from underneath, making me scream loudly as I was dragged under with Jodie.

We were both underwater, facing each other with grins on our puffed cheeks. Jodie stared at me for a few seconds with a slight frown on her face before rising to the surface again, laughing. I joined her, but not before clutching her legs first!

A/N: SDCC time next chapter guys!