Chapter 23 - Photograph

A/N: Switches between Jodie and Y/N only once but just telling you lol.

*time skip to a month later*

21st August 2020

Jodie's POV:

A week or two after filming officially ended, Y/N, Mandip and I had a few days off before our press tour began, which we spent in London. The last day was Y/Ns birthday, so we made it extra special for her, including something from Harrods and a photoshoot with the TARDIS that was there.

I also had a plan to make it even better.

At first, when I told Mandip, neither of us were quite sure. I mean, knowing someone for three months and then asking them that? It sounded absurd to many. But I had a strong feeling in my heart whenever I thought of it, and always brushed away the thoughts of 'too soon'.

Hyde Park at night was the perfect place to do it. I knew a path that led to a gathering of trees and some rocks to sit on, which would hopefully where we would end up, if all went smoothly. Which it would, of course.

On the day, Y/N wanted a nap before she and I were going on our nighttime walk, so Mandip and I took the chance to decorate, using fairy lights, blankets and anything else we had to enhance its beauty as much as possible.

The place looked magnificent after we were done, with two minutes to spare before Y/N called me saying she was getting ready. I told her to meet me by the entrance on Kensington Road at 9pm so we could walk down the Broad Walk and catch the sunset.

Mandip was happy to return to the hotel by herself and caught the taxi that Y/N came in.

"You're gonna love it, I guarantee you. Jodie's put loads into this!" Mandip said to Y/N. I made the 'cutting throat' sign to her with my hand but she just rolled her eyes.

Y/Ns POV:

"Enjoy it. Happy Birthday!" Mandip waved as the taxi drove away, leaving Jodie and I together.

As it was my birthday, was wearing my favourite white summer dress and a sun hat with the necklace they'd brought me earlier.I had a feeling like something big was going to happen on our work, but I couldn't think what it might've been. I also had white running shoes, but no one could see them.

"Miss L/N, shall we?" Jodie asked, holding out her bent arm towards me.

"We shall, Ms Whittaker." I answered, linking up with her. My heartstrings still played a sweet song whenever I said her name. Every time.

It was a full moon behind us, with the sunset birds just ending their song in the trees. Ahead was a fading orange and yellow light, cloudless and rainless. There was nobody else around, and once we were a few metres in we couldn't even hear the road. It was the most peaceful I'd ever been.

"You look really pretty." Jodie said, pointing out my dress. I smiled, feeling the heat in my cheeks rise.

"So do you. I love your.....er...." I stammered, looking at her decorated tan sandals, denim shorts, white t-shirt, rose sunglasses perched on top of her lovely blonde bob of hair and her gorgeous hazel eyes.

Jodie burst out laughing and I just went hotter. "It's okay, I know I look really badly dressed for the situation. No need to try and complement me!"

"No, I......all of you looks wonderful." I said, my cheeks gradually growing cooler.

"Aw, thank you Y/N! Or babe? Should I call you babe? I don't think it suits you very well. How about....just Y/N?"

"Just Y/N sounds great." I giggled.

We continued walking together, chatting about all sorts, and even had a look at the outside of Kensington Palace. It was extremely quiet, so much so that I felt a world away from the bustling city of London.

"Come on then." Jodie said excitedly.

"What? Where?" I asked, confused.

"This way. Just follow me." she said. I obeyed, following her off the path to a tight gathering of trees with a small entrance. She let me go in first, and I gasped in surprise.

It was like a cave, but a hundred times more magical. Strung between each tree there were tiny, soft fairy lights, filling the whole space with a warm, cream lighting. At the foot of some of them were clusters pink and yellow tulips with bright green leaves, some also dotted around the area.

In the middle was a large, bench-like rock at a slight angle with similar ones placed nearby. It was covered in a navy-and-ivory quilted blanket and a white pair of cushions to make it comfortable. In front of it was a stone table-like structure with a silver bag on top.

"I.........I don't know what to say. It's so beautiful." I breathed, trying not to well up.

"How about a thank you and a kiss?" Jodie asked jokingly. We sat down and we kissed before she reached over and handed me the bag.

"Happy 27th, Y/N." she said, grinning. I didn't say anything, just smiled back and opened the bag.

The first gift was a huge collection of memories, of us as well as Mandip and the team at Doctor Who. They were some really crazy ones, like the end of filming party when we went as superheroes, or our hosing-down, fun ones, like the ones from Jodie's birthday and even from earlier that day.

It even included a tiny, black-and-white one of us both I could fit inside the necklace locket, which I did straightaway. The tears came to my eyes now, but I didn't cry.

The second present was a map, strangely. Even stranger was that on it was two red hearts; one where Jodie lived and one where I lived. A line joined them, and another came off that one with a question mark at the end of it. I looked at Jodie, who just licked her lips and seemed very impatient.

I opened the third present, which was a collection of items. A photo of my family, her and I when she came home with me, an address for a holiday cottage in Iona for the second week of September, a red rose and a small, velvety black box.

A ring box.

Before I could say anything, Jodie took it from my hands and went round to my side, on one knee. She was grinning widely and obviously couldn't contain what she was going to say any longer.

"Y/N L/N. The moment I set eyes on you down that path where we bumped into one another, I have never stopped loving you. I want us to be properly together, connected forever."

"But...I..." I began.

"I know," she interrupted. "I know we've only known each other in real life for a few months, but it feels like I've known you my whole life. This is why it's now. Y/N, will you marry me?"

That's when I stood up and ran, the tears racing down my face, like Cinderella running from her prince.

A/N: CLIFFHANGER. See you next Friday!