6: Invitations

“You have to go back to work?” I asked. I know I hadn’t heard any lawnmowers while I was swimming so he must not have cut the grass yet.

Jared shook his head. “No I can’t start until the mowers cleaned and Harvey won’t be done for another half hour or so.”

“Don’t want to much of a grass build up and need the blades sharp to get an even cut. Gotcha.” He looked surprised and I shrugged “I may be Kale’s step sister to be but that doesn’t mean I’m a complete moron. Just a moron by association I suppose.”

He chuckled after I gave a playful wink. “Sorry don’t mean to be rude I’m just not used to. . . I don’t know how to put it, non high maintenance girls being around here. I live down in the apartments with my dad so we’re not exactly high society.”

“Well I just moved from living with my military father so I am way out of my element.” I looked up at the clear sunny sky. “Hey if it isn’t too forward of me to ask I was wondering if maybe you could show me around town sometime? I’d much rather not be forced to using Kale as my tour guide. You don’t have to though. I wouldn’t be offended if you said no.”

Jared flashed me a smile as he wiped some of the sweat from his brow. “I was just about to offer. I’m free on Monday. If you don’t mind going to a farmers market that is, I promise we won’t be there long.”

“I’d love that! Maybe I can get some real fruit when I’m there. The stuff they have here tastes so-“

“Unusually perfect?” he finished for me and we both smiled. Finally someone easy going.

“Finish mowing the lawn yet Grass?” Kale’s obnoxiously smooth voice came from behind us and I turned to see him and a group of at least ten fit friends following behind him their eyes all on me. “We wanted to play some football.”

Jared looked up and glanced at me. “Well I could skip the back yard until I’m done with the front. That should give you guys a good two hours. Still waiting for the mower now.”

“I asked a question, not your life story.” He laughed and the mocking tone of his voice irritated me.

I ignored the eyes of the new guys and looked instead at Jared. “I’ll see you Monday then?” I asked waiting for Kale to wander back to his minions; he didn’t. His eyes stayed glued to me.

Jared nodded. “I’ll be here around ten in the morning if that’s not too early.”

“I get up at five so that works for me.” I gave him a smile and Kale cleared his throat in a hinting manner.

“I better go see if I can pitch in on the mower. It was nice to meet you Rein.” He gave a small wave before jogging off and I watched his smooth back for a bit as he went out of sight and into the shed.All work and no play hasn’t made Jared a dull boy. I turned and walked past Kale and towards the patio doors.

He turned to the guys and nodded towards the open lawn. “Be right back. Just chill.” He said before chasing after me not catching up until I was already at the top of the steps.

“What do you want?”

“Play some ball with us. Your mom said you like sports. I’ll go easy on you I promise.” He asked as he tossed the ball nonchalantly from hand to hand.

I looked back at him and opened my door. “You know what, I think I will. Hold on.” I closed the door behind me, a grin on my face. I may be thin but I had strong bones from my dad and was in top shape for a girl. My father encouraged football with him and the guys and I was sure if I could take on a group of military men I could hold my own with some richy rich teenagers.

“Don’t take too long! You don’t even have to get dressed at all. You can play in your suit. I really don’t mind and I’m sure they won’t either. Hey what did Grass mean when he said he was picking you up Monday? You two going on a date or something?” he called at me through my door. By the time he had said this I had already quickly stripped of my suit, thrown on a pair of boy short panties and matching sports bra, slipped on a pair of jean shorts that showed off my toned yet fair skinned legs yet still gave me room to move when running, and a blue black and white patterned tank top. 

“He’s showing me around town.” I replied as I pinned my hair up in a messy bun and walked past him down the steps. He caught up to me quicker than before.

“You know I could do that.”

I shrugged. “I know.” I stopped on the bottom step and slipped into my clean white Nike running shoes and tied them tight. I was ready to show him I wasn’t one of the little bimbos he thought I was.

“If you want you can just watch. I don’t want you getting hurt or anything.” I rolled my eyes at his comment.

“I’ll be fine.” We walked back out onto the patio and up to the group of guys who were stretching on the lawn. Again with the staring? You’d think they’d never seen a female before jeeze.

Unglued - Stone Temple Pilots