27: Too Close

I finally got up the nerve to ask Kale about what he had said earlier. Why should I be careful around Jared? What is he not telling me?  It wasn’t until I got into the hallway that I realized I had no idea where his bedroom was. Might as well get a drink while I’m up. I decided as I headed quietly down the stairs.

The fridge light glowed bright and illuminated the whole kitchen as I pulled out a container of wine and closed the door. Hey why not? It’s not like I’m going to drink enough to get drunk. Just enough to help me sleep. I poured myself a big glass and returned the bottle to the fridge.  “Why are you still up?” Kale asked and I looked up as I took a nice big swig of the red wine.

“Couldn’t sleep.” Well it is partially true. “You?”

“I had to finish dropping off all of the jerseys.”  I nodded as he maneuvered around me and opened the fridge. “So what do you think about Sarah?”

“She’s a lot better than I gave her credit for. Not exactly someone I have anything in common with but still pretty cool in her own sort of way.”

“Can you grab me a glass?”

“Yeah.” I nodded. I set down my glass and turned, opening the cabinets that hung over the large cooking counter.  The sensation of Kale’s breath on my neck caused me to spin around the moment after I grabbed the glass for him.

In all of his perfection he stood not a few inches from me his hands resting on either side of me against the countertop. I was pinned between him and the counter with the glass in my hand and a surprised look on my face. “I’m not actually thirsty.” He breathed shifting for a moment to take the glass from my hand and set it back on the counter.

“Oh.” Was all I could manage to get out. What is he doing? I wondered nervously as his eyes met mine, a playful shine to them.

Kale came forward, his body starting to press up against mine.  For some reason my eyes stayed locked on his lips. They hovered just a few inches from mine. “You smell like wine.” He commented after a moment of silence.

“That’s because I’m drinking wine.” I replied.

“Tsk tsk underage drinking isn’t something I pictured you’d be into.”

“It helps me sleep.”

“I could help put you to sleep.” His hot breath tingled my ear and sent shivers down my spine as he leaned in and pressed his cheek to mine.

“I’m good with the wine, thanks.” I replied unsure what to do.

He took the tip of my earlobe in between his lips and nibbled on it lightly.  “I like your nightie.”

I became aware of his right hand resting on my waist his fingers playing with the smooth silk of the nightie. “Why did you say I should be careful around Jared?”

The change of subject caused the desired effect and he took a step back confused and looking put down at the same time. “He’s not what you think he is.” He finally answered after looking at me for a long moment.

“Then what is he?”

“You’ll have to find out on your own. I can’t answer that for you.”

“Fine then.” I picked up my glass of wine, downed it quickly doing my best to ignore Kale’s eyes on my body, and then turned to leave. “If you ever get that close to me again you won’t be able to see straight for a week.” I growled before walking out.

“You ‘re just going to leave your glass out?” he asked following beside me.

“Your fucking maid will get it.”

Daydreams - Hed PE