52: Look Inside

“Kale?”  I asked quietly as I pushed open his bedroom door. I finally found it. I felt bad that by the time Jared had successfully made his point he wasn’t going to talk to me Kale had already left the pool.

“Yeah?”  his voice was slurred. Has he been crying?

“I’ll come back later.” I whispered closing his door and going back into m y room. He wasn’t crying. There was nothing to cry about. I shrugged and looked around for a moment. I’d gone straight to looking for his room after I realized I’d totally ditched him without realizing it.

Light flooded into my room and I looked up as the door opened revealing Kale in his boxers. “Rein.” He said closing the door behind him.

“Kale are you okay?” I asked quietly as he stumbled forward.  He almost fell and I rushed to support him.

“I’m so sorry.” He mumbled his eyes tearing up as he steadied himself against me. I helped him walk to the edge of my bed where he sat down and looked up at me.

“It’s okay?” I said unsure what he was apologizing for.

He reached forward grabbing onto my wrists tightly. “It was my fault.”

His grip on my wrists was surprisingly tight and I could feel my fingers going numb already. “Kale you’re hurting me.” I said calmly. He’s drunk.

“I invited Miles to the party.” He said slowly. “It’s all my fault. It was me.”

Tears ran down his cheeks and I stood unsure what to say. “It wasn’t your fault.” I said softly.

“It was!” he yelled roughly up at me shaking my arms.

“Let go of my wrists and we can talk about this.”

He released them and looked up at me, a pained expression on his face. “It’s my fault.” He repeated.

I sat beside him. “You keep saying that but it doesn’t make it true.” I sighed. “Now why do you think it’s your fault?

“I invited him. He came because of me. Jakeson said no. That’s why I did it.  I hate Jakeson. You know that right? Thinks he’s as good as me. He wants you, you know? Said so the moment he saw you…” he trailed off about Jakeson for a bit before I stopped him.

“What does this have to do with-“

“Everything!” he yelped. “Miles came because I asked him to. If I didn’t he wouldn’t have been at the party to take your virginity. I saw you talking to those guys, to Jakeson and not me. So I was mad.  He saw me staring at you.  I’m what brought you to his attention.”

How did he know I’m a virgin? I wondered not even caring about his confession. I’d known that it wasn’t his fault. It was Miles. Passing the blame off would be stupid.