14: So Far so Good

“Hi my name’s Silvia, you’re new here right?” Silvia introduced herself to me as she took a seat beside me in the large clean Advanced Placement Psychology room.

“Yeah I am, is it that obvious?” I joked as I smiled over at her. “The name’s Rein.”

“Oh that’s pretty how’s it spelled?” she asked me as she waved at another girl who entered the room only seconds before the bell rang.

I loaded my pencil with led “R-e-i-n.”

She nodded “Wouldn’t it be funny if you ended up dating Skylar?” she asked with a giggle as she twirled her black hair around her index finger.

“Skylar?” I asked feeling like I was supposed to know who she was talking about.

“See that hot piece of ass up there with the long blonde hair? He’s Skylar. Captain of the soccer team and the son of the Chairman of the school.” She let out a soft sigh as she stared at his back. “But he doesn’t date. No he just does flings.”

I don’t see what’s so great about being Chairman’s son. Wouldn’t that be kind of obnoxious? He’d always know exactly how you’re doing in school and be able to check up on all of your friends. I noticed everyone else already had their books. “Where did you get the books?” I asked Silvia.

“We all got them mailed to us. I’m guessing you should ask Mr. Parshon for one he probably has yours.” She motioned towards the teacher as he sat behind his desk organizing papers seemingly oblivious to the fact bell had rung.

I got to my feet and pushed in my chair thankful for the fact that everyone else seemed to be chattering. I approached his desk making sure not to make eye contact with anyone on my way up. Apparently new students were rare at this school because eyes seemed to glue to me the moment they caught sight of me. “Excuse me, sir?” I asked politely when I had reached his desk. He looked up at me through his reading glasses.

“Oh you must be Rein.” He greeted me with a smile. “I’m glad to see you found the classroom alright. You need a book don’t you?” I nodded. “They’re in the back. Mark could you help Miss Maruesa find a book?”

I looked over my shoulder as one of the boys in the front row nodded and stood up, locking eyes with me. “Thank you sir.” I gave the teacher a small nod as I followed the boy named Mark to the back. I recognized him from the football game. Why did she have to point him out? I wondered nervously noticing Skylar’s eyes on me as I walked past his seat.

“You sure pack a mean tackle.” He said as he opened the closet in the back and started to look through the supplies for a book.

“Ha yeah, sorry about that and thanks for helping me find a book.” I felt slightly awkward standing beside him as he looked.

“No problem. Ah here we go.” He pulled out a book still wrapped in clear plastic and handed it to me. “If you have a laptop then you can read the book online and just leave it in your locker. It’s nice not having to carry it everywhere.” He recommended. 

I looked down at the perfect new book in my hand. I was going to have to get use to this whole... money thing. Back where I was from you were lucky if the book even had a cover on it. "Thanks." I nodded and made my way back to my seat and the smiling girl who was just bursting at the seams to be able to talk to me, the new girl. 

Faith, Love and Happiness - Thousand Foot Krutch