59: Father and Son

I bobbed my head as I sung along to the music that played from the stereo system. I was in the zone and working on my photo projects. The words made me smile and I looked up as Kale walked into the livingroom. “What on earth are you listening to?” he asked with a scowl.

I laughed. Oh good, he hates this music. “Cobra Starship. Duh.”

“It sounds like shit.”

“Good.” I turned it up. Okay so I’m being a bitch. I get my days.

He rolled his eyes and came up behind me on the couch looking down over my shoulder. “What are you doing?”

We hadn’t talked about the kiss that had happened days ago. I was as glad about it as I was weary. Kale had actually seemed to back down after it. Maybe he’s realized that his game was a stupid idea?

“I have to put together a presentation for photography.” I said sorting through the pictures before me. Even with him looking over my shoulder I didn’t feel nervous. Call me crazy but it seemed like that kiss had set things straight between us. The game was over. We were moving on.

I sung along as the song changed bobbing my head. I was in a freaking good mood.  “Sound’s like a song for you and your little girls.” I commented as the line about not remembering a girl’s name in the morning passed. I pasted one of the photographs carefully onto the tagboard.

“Aww you think I’d be hard to forget?” he laughed, focusing on the next line instead, as he reached over me and grabbed one of the pictures. “How’d you get these feet to be focused but those to be blurred?” he asked genuinely interested.

“Well it just kinda was an accidental picture I ended up loving. See that person was standing alone against the wall and these people were walking past. . .”

Kale sat beside me and we talked for a bit about all of the photos. He’s being nice again. I swear this guy is a human yo-yo.

“You sure do love photography.” He said giving me a sideways smile as he set down the stack of photos he had been looking through.

“I can make something look like whatever I want it to.” I shrugged. “If I don’t like something I can change what it really is with how I see it by the way I take the picture.”

Kale set down the list and jumped to his feet. “Come on.”

“What?” I asked as he dragged me to a standing position.

“You’re missing a father son picture. Dad’s home. Let’s take one.”

I shook my head.  “No I couldn’t.”

“Well you’re gunna.”

“What if I don’t want to?”

For a long moment he looked at me before a smile crossed his face. “Don’t you want to spend some time getting to know your new step-dad?”