37: Phonecall Frustrations

I slipped into the clothes and flipped open my phone. Oh good the water didn’t damage it. I pressed call and waited patiently.

“Hello?” Jared’s voice met my ear and I smiled to myself.

“Hey there stranger.”

“What’s up Rein?” he asked wondering why I had called so late. It was only ten something according to my phone but I had never called him past five before.

“You have to save me.”

“Are you okay? What’s going on?” his voice was worried.

“Nothing that bad. I’m at some party at Jakeson’s and I don’t know what to do. Can you come? Please? I’d feel a lot better with you here.”

“I don’t know Rein. You know I would but I don’t think he’d like me there.”

“He won’t even notice. There’s hundreds of people here.”

“Oh.”

I sighed. “Please? You know I wouldn’t ask you if it wasn’t important.”

“Well what exactly is wrong?”

“I don’t know anyone here but Kale’s friends and Jakeson threw me to the wolves introducing me to some guys from some other school and they keep undressing me with their eyes. Then I got tackled by some guy into the pool and everyone got a clear view of my bra because of course I just had to be wearing a white shirt. Now I’m up in Jakeson’s cousin’s room practically hiding because all there is here is some super short skirt and I don’t do skirts. And they are all waiting for me to come back down.” I vented all of my anxiety flowing out of me. “It’s my first party.”

“Calm down okay? You’re fine. Take a deep breath-“ his soothing voice greeted my ears but I cut him off.

“Sorry I didn’t man to be such a baby about it. Just nervous and I feel completely out of place.”

“It’s okay.”

“You’re right I’m fine. Sorry I called I guess I-“ but I didn’t finish what I was saying the bedroom door was opened and I turned to see Miles standing there. “Just a second.” I lowered the phone.  “I’ll be down soon.”

He leaned against the door frame and smiled at me. “I see you found some clothes.”

“Yeah, not much to pick from though.” Go away. I thought frustrated.

Instead he came in and closed the door behind him. “Still talking to your dad?” he asked and I shook my head.

“Oh, no I’m not.”

He neared me and snatched the phone away lifting it to his ear. “Hello?”

“Give it back.” I reached for it and he dodged away from me.

“No I’m sorry she’s busy.”

“I wasn’t done talking to him.” I reached for the phone and again he ducked away from me. “Oh come on this isn’t funny.”

He closed my phone without another word hanging up on Jared. “You’re cute when you’re mad.” He smiled at me, tucking my phone into his pocket. “So was that your boyfriend?”

I shook my head and held out my hand for the phone. “No but can I please have my phone back?”

“Depends. What do I get for it?” he asked sitting on the edge of the bed. He was still shirtless but it looked like his shorts had dried a little.

“Let’s see, what would I give you for giving me back something of mine you took from me…” I pretended to think for a moment. “- Nothing.”

“Fair enough.” He dug into his pocket and held out the phone for me to grab. “Sorry I was just goofing around.” He added with a little shrug and I came forward to grab my phone.

No Game - Brokencyde