9: Sucking Up

We collapsed in the entrance hall to the house, lying on the fresh cream carpet panting loudly. “I won.” Kale managed to get out in between his heavy breaths.

“Yes you did.” I nodded admitting it as I sat up and pulled my knees up to my chin. I stared at my running shoes as I took a long slow breath and then repeated it.

“I thought I heard the door open.” My mom’s overly cheerful voice greeted our ears and we looked up to see her coming from the west wing of the house. The adults side of the house. I mocked myself as I hopped to my feet and Kale looked up at me like I was crazy.

“When do you have work Christine?” I asked noticing she was already dressed for her job as a nurse at the local hospital.

She looked down at her phone then back up at me. “Not for another hour. Just nervous, it’s my first day and all.”

“Come on I’ll make you some breakfast. You shouldn’t work on an empty stomach.” I offered as repined my hair to my head.

“Make me some too!” Kale called after me where he layed still panting on the ground.

My legs seemed to carry themselves to the kitchen the adrenaline of the run still coursing through my veins. He was lucky the door was unlocked I would have never let him live it down if he ran straight into it. I set about making eggs and French toast a hungry feeling pushing at my stomach as I looked down at the food I was preparing. It didn’t take long and I soon walked into the dining room, set out three plates with silverware, and placed the hot food on the table. “Thank you dear.” My mother’s voice greeted me as she sat herself down and helped herself to some eggs.

“Food’s ready!” I called out just loud enough for Kale to hear. As I took my seat across from my mom he walked casually into the room his bare chest glistening with sweat from the run. “No shirt no service.” I commented hoping he really did plan on eating like that.

“My house my rules.” He replied so only I could hear as he passed by me, taking a seat at the head of the table and helping himself to as much food as he could get his hands on. I could feel my mom’s eyes survey my face as she felt my tension towards him. “Would you like a ride to work mom? We’ll be picking up your new car today while you are at work.” he asked and I almost choked on my mouthful of eggs. Mom?

To my disgust she gave him her patented bright smile. “Oh that would be wonderful Kale. Just let me call the taxi and let them know I won’t be needing a ride after all.” For a small woman my mom ate equally small amounts for she had already finished her tiny helping of eggs she had called a meal.

“I’ll finish eating, get some more respectable clothing on and be ready to take you in fifteen minutes. You work at eight right?” My mom nodded and he smiled. “I can get you there ten minutes early then.”

How sweet of him. I said rolling my eyes and I munched on my second piece of French toast. With the amount of calories I went through a day I had to eat a big breakfast to keep from passing out. My mom left the table leaving her plates behind. She must have been here a lot in the year she’d been engaged to Michael, I didn’t learn about him until so much as two days ago which still pissed me off, for she was accustomed to how things ran around there.

I held in a groan of annoyance and focused my eyes on the forkful of eggs I held in my hand hovering above my plate. I have to call dad tonight and let him know I got here okay. I’m sure he’s not worried but I have to make sure he’s not upset with me for going. Sure I had told him I was moving with my mom and he allowed it but he did nothing at all to help it happen. In the end I was forced to buy the bus tickets with my saved money and leave on my own. Kale got up to leave and I ignored him as he passed by me.      

Game Over - Hed PE