34: Green Little Monsters

--Kale’s POV--

“How do you do it man?” Jakeson asked as Brendon took the seat Spencer had just given up.

“Do what?” Brendon asked looking up as he scarfed down a bag of skittles.

“We’ve been trying to get her to go to the party the entire week and you tell her to go and she just says yes?”

Brendon laughed. “It’s because I have some decency and am not trying to get into her pants.”

I scoffed. “But you still want in them.”

“There’s nothing wrong with that.” He gave a mockingly innocent smile and batted his eyelashes causing us to groan.

“If anyone is getting into them it’s me.” Jakeson pitched into the conversation.

“Right because she seems so interested in you.” I rolled my eyes.

“You and your Viagra.” Brendon added in for me.

“I say Skylar has a better chance than any of you do.” Shut your fucking mouth Frankie.

“Oh and why is that?” Jakeson asked him.

Frankie shot us a look that made us all feel like idiots. “She’s gotten a ride home from school with him like every other day this week, hasn’t she?”

“So?” Jakeson pushed him for more.

I shrugged pretending that it didn’t bother me. It did. “They just have photography to do together.”

“It is Skylar we are talking about. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already got in. He’s had more girls than you or Kale.  He gets alone with a girl and it’s a sealed deal.” Frankie responded looking at Jakeson like he was an idiot.

“Rein isn’t like that.” I hissed with Brendon and Jakeson nodding in approval.

“She’s a virgin.”

“What?” we all asked in almost a perfect chorus.

Sarah shrugged. “Rein is still a virgin. She told me so.”

It was Frankie who spoke first. “And you believe her?”

“Yeah I do. I mean listen to the girl talk I don’t think she even knows how to lie.” She played with her bangs for a second then added “She’s saving it for a guy who will respect her.”

“I respect her.” Jakeson pitched in with a smile.

“Which is why you are talking about getting into her pants? I don’t think so.” Brendon said shooting down Jakeson’s smile.

Rein is a virgin? The thought lingered in my mind. With a body like hers it seemed impossible. She’s so stubborn, it does make sense. 

Sarah leaned up against me and started to watch the guys as they started come pointless little quarrel about Rein. I was too busy thinking to bother following their talking. What kind of a life did she leave if she's a virgin? I wondered trying to picture her old school.

I knew that she'd lived on a military base with her dad who she, for some weird reason, called by his last name. It didn't surprise me though. She called her mom by her first name. Even I called Christine 'mom' sometimes. It was less of a mouthful than her name.

Maybe the boys there weren't her type? I tried to picture a group of unatracctive jar head military boys around her but couldn't. Instead all I could see were tough looking boys in their camis with Rein picking one at a time for her team in football. The pang of jealousy that seared through me caused me to set my soda down on the table much rougher than was necessary. 

I ignored Jakeson's and Brendon's surprised glances towards me. I don't get jealous. I just get what I want. But even as I told myself that I found myself just a jealous about Rein's past as I was about the two boys who everyone considered as my friends that sat before me discussing Rein with smiles on their stupid faces. What was happening to me?

Trying - Lifehouse