25: Have Some Space

My camera lay on my bed and I laid beside it. Swimming, yeah right. I rolled my eyes.

The girl named Sarah had insisted on wearing my white bikini that my Uncle Jim had bought me when he was in Japan for the first time.  It had been one of my favorite suits back when I would swim laps at the YMCA on the edge of town.  I need to get my mind out of the gutter. I decided shaking all thoughts of what Kale and Sarah were most definitely doing at that very moment.

I picked up my camera and didn’t stop walking until I had reached the front lawn.

There wasn’t anything outside that inspired me and I ended up laying on the soft grass near the front of the house.  My eyes watched the clouds pass by as I wasted a good two hours doing nothing but spacing out. It wasn’t until I heard a car pull up into the driveway that I sat up and came back to reality.

“Oh hey is Kale home?” Frankie asked as he closed the door to his Nissan.

“He’s out back swimming with Sarah.” I responded, shoving my hair out of my face as I looked up at him.

“Oh.” He sounded disappointed. “I should probably wait out here. Don’t want to disturb them.”

I nodded understanding exactly where he was coming from. “I’d offer to go let him know that you are here but I’d rather not go blind.”

Frankie gave a nervous chuckle. “So what are you doing on the grass?” he asked after a few minutes of awkward silence.

“I was going to take some photos but ended up just kinda laying down and spacing out. So does Kale know you’re coming?”

“Well I was supposed to be here at five and it’s now-“ he checked his cellphone “-seventeen after.”

“You guys going somewhere?”

He nodded. “The new football jerseys are in and he has to be there so we can hand them out.”

“Oh?”

“He’s captain and my dad’s the sports coordinator so we both have to be there.”

“Didn’t football season start already?” I asked curious.

“Well since we’re a private school we start ours with the homecoming game in October. It’s a tradition around these parts since we don’t have to worry about a cold winter.”

“You ready to go yet?” Kale asked and I heard the front door close behind him. I didn’t bother to look.

“Yeah.” Frankie nodded. “See you Rein.” He got in his car and closed the door.

I laid back down and closed my eyes as I heard the car engine start. At least now I can take a nap. I thought glad that Kale would soon be  leaving.  “Sarah is inside changing still. Tell her I’ll be back to take her home around seven okay?”

I sat up quickly. “Hey I am not going to babysit her while you are gone.”

“You don’t have to. Just pop in a movie or something and she’ll be fine.”

“No take her with you.” I protested as I got to my feet. He already had his car door open.

“Listen babydoll, either you can come with and we leave her here alone or you can stay here with her.”

Circle - Paramore