30: Booty Call

--Kale’s POV--

“So I’ll see you at school tomorrow?” Emily asked with a hopeful smile from where she lay on her bed still under the covers.

I gave her a small smile and leaned down to kiss her again before slipping my shirt on. “You always do.”

“But you don’t always talk to me.” she pointed out.

Because I don’t want to you idiot. “I’m sorry, I just get so busy. You know how it is.” I gave her my apologetic smile which I had perfected just for times like this.

She nodded. “Yeah, I’m always busy with the dance squad.”

“I can bet.” I commented not actually caring. “Anyways I really have to go. The guys are probably going crazy by now.”

It was a lie. I knew the guys had long ago gone home. I had, after all, been supposed to meet up with them over three hours ago. They always came over at the same time every other week. I was Kale after all, the popular one. It only made sense that they all wanted to come spend some time at my house playing football or just jerking around.

This time however I didn’t want them to step foot in my house. Not with Rein there, no way. I thought as I pictured them all oogling over her when I’d walked in with them all when she’d just been swimming and was talking to Grass.

At first I had thought I wanted to show her off. After all she was a total babe and living in my house. Of course I’d get some. Well that’s what I had thought at first anyways. But it turned out that I was wrong. She was insanely stubborn and turned out to be more of a challenge then I had expected. Not like Emily here. I thought as I gave her one last smile before leaving her bedroom where she lay still naked under her covers her hair a mess.

Emily had just been a split second decision for me when I’d realized that I needed to stay out of sight until the guys realized I was too busy for them. As I made my way home I turned on some music and let my mind wander.

I wonder what Rein is doing right now? I wondered then smiled at the thought of her. She’d probably be swimming. She seemed rather fond of the pool and didn’t seem to notice that my room overlooked it. I could just sit and watch her swim and relax in the hot tub as I made my routine phone calls and planned out my weekends as was expected of me.

I can probably talk her into a run when I get back. I decided. Yeah that’d be a good idea. She’s more relaxed with me when she’s running. And it was true. I was able to see her in her adorable little jogging shorts and talk to her as she ran without her doing her usual ‘I feel awkward’ eyes. Call me crazy but it was part of what made her so attractive. She was just so oblivious to the fact she was a total babe.

Now me, I knew I was good looking. Girls told me all the time. They told me with their eyes, their smiles, their words and eventually, like Emily just had, with their bodies. It was only natural. I mean I was good looking. I was popular. I had money. Great taste in everything. Especially girls. Like Rein.

But even with all of my quite obvious perks Rein still hadn’t taken the bait. I just didn’t get it. Any other girl would have folded by now. I’d been cocky and playful. I’d caught her by surprise. Hell I’d even arranged it so that I was her savior by being able to give her rides to school. Yet still no results had been produced. She was still as obnoxiously Rein as ever. Couldn’t she just drop the perfect act enough for me to make some progress?

I know. I’ll throw her some personal questions during our run. Make her think I want to get to know the inner her. Girls always loved that. Talking about themselves was their favorite hobby. Of course I perfected the listening act down to a T. I knew when to act interested and when to change the topic. Hell I was Kale Pharkerson, I could win over any girl. But not Rein.

I groaned and as I pulled into my driveway I couldn’t help but find it odd as I noticed all of the guys cars parked outside of the house. What was going on? I know they all look up to me but waiting three hours? Even Jakeson’s car was there which was even more unusual. Though I invited him just to be polite he’d never before shown up. We weren’t actually friends after all, just rivals who knew that we needed each other for our own purposes.

I made my way through the house wondering about the quiet. They weren’t waiting inside, what were they doing? As I pulled open the glass doors to the patio my heart died in my chest. There was Rein with all of my friends… and they were all smiling enjoying her company. What. The. Fuck.

If it Means a Lot to You - A Day to Remember