17: Upsetting the Enemy

“Hey there babygirl.” I nearly jumped ten feet in the air like some bad anime movie as I felt Kale’s hot breath tickle my ear.

I spun around to see him casually leaning against the locker beside mine. “Oh my god Kale don’t do that.” I breathed ignoring his please smirk.

“Did I startle you?” he asked reaching out to tuck my hair behind my ear the second I turned my attention back to putting my last book into my locker.

“ What do you want?” I asked him impatiently as I slung my book bag over my shoulder.

“Grass said you would be needing a ride home.” He jingled his keys in the air in front of me and I closed my locker. “I’m ready when you are.”

From the corner of my eye I could see Skylar approaching and the annoyed look on Kales face gave me a twisted sense of satisfaction. “Hey what is our address?” I asked with an innocent smile.

He cocked an eyebrow “413 Raycrest Ridge Lane. Why?”

Skylar gave me a smile as he stopped and leaned against the locker on the locker to my right. “Hello Rein and Kale.” He greeted us.

“Skylar. What’s up?” Kale asked eyeing him up competitively.

“I won’t be needing that ride Kale. Skylar here was kind enough to offer to take me home.”  

The look of disgust on Kale's face almost made me laugh. Apparently I'd chosen someone he wasn't fond of as my escape route from him. Good. I hope he gets the hint and backs down. 

"You know I can give you a ride." Kale said flatly turning his eyes to me.

"I thought you would have had plans." I lied and smiled slowly as I turned my eyes towards Skylar. "And Skylar heard I needed a ride and was nice enough to offer. Isn't that nice of him?"

Skylar smiled brilliantly. "It's really nothing."

"We're both going the same place." Kale pointed out. "Why waste gas?"

He'd really been looking forward to torturing me hadn't he been? I held in another smirk and turned it into a smile as Skylar answered for me, "I enjoy her company so I don't mind." 

Before Kale could say any more I closed my locker and let out a little sigh. "Well I'm ready to go. I'll see you at your house Kale."

As I walked off with Skylar I could almost feel Kale's glare ripping our backs apart. One point for me. Your move Kale. 

Little did I know he'd already made it. I'd just cancelled it out.

Pure Morning - Placebo