67: A Good Time

• Dedicated to CadenceMcCoy , karmah5 and obsidianbutterfly13 for being so epically commentasti

I played with the strap of my bookbag as I waited on the front steps for Jakeson’s car. I’d gotten ready quicker than usual and by the time I realized that it was because I couldn’t wait to see Jakeson again I had blushed like mad. I wasn’t used to liking someone and being so open about it. But after that night and that kiss we’d talked about it as he drove me back, saving me from a ride with Kale and Kristin. Thankfully he hadn’t made it awkward. He’d just smiled and let me know that he really did like me and that he hadn’t kissed me just to kiss me.

The weekend passed by with Kale doing his usual asshole antics of glaring at me and having Kristin over as often as possible. I didn’t mind though. By the time Monday had come I was feeling better as Jakeson and I enjoyed each other’s company on the way to school, talking about movies for Friday.

And now it was Friday and I was eagerly waiting for him yet again. Tonight I’d be able to curl up against him during our classic movie night. I smiled slowly as his car approached. Compose yourself woman. I told myself as I opened up the car door and greeted him with a cheery “Good morning.”

“Morning beautiful.” he responded as he pulled down our long driveway.

I turned on his radio and looked out the window happily at the bright sunny morning. A few minutes passed without talking and he finally broke it by asking, “So how has Kale been treating you?”

“I’ve been ignoring him. We get in a few little spats but nothing big.”

“Would you tell me if he ever starts a fight with you again?”

I nodded. “Of course.”

“I don’t really like you two living together.” he admitted as he looked over to me. “I know how he is and it’s not fair that you have to put up with it.’

“I manage.”

He nodded then smiled. “You look like you’re in a good mood.”

“I am.”

“Then maybe this would be a good time.” he said more to himself than to me.

I turned in my seat so I could angle my body to face him. “A good time for what?”

“Well…” he breathed as though struggling with himself for a moment. “You’re already aware that I like you.” Jakeson looked to me his perfectly blue eyes flashing brightly. “I want you to know I’m serious about you. Would you like to date me? To be my girlfriend?”

My heart skipped a beat as I looked quickly away from him so he wouldn’t see the blush that threatened to come to my cheeks. He’s asking me out. He’s actually asking me out. the realization seemed to stun me. I had expected Jakeson to get bored and move on. I’d prepared myself for the pang of hurt I’d get from him realizing I wasn’t like the girls he and Kale used to romp around with. Yet here he was asking me out instead.

“I didn’t mean to put you on the spot.” he said softly from beside me. “You don’t have to respond now.”

“No,” I said turning my eyes back to him as I tried to explain why I’d looked away in the first place. His eyes seemed to dim. “I meant no, you didn’t put me on the spot. Not that my answer was no.” I explained feeling like an idiot. Leave it to me to make a fool of myself after he asks me out. Way to go Rein.

He nodded a little bit of the confidence returning. “Just think about it, okay?”

“I don’t need to.” I said softly before taking a slow breath. “I’d love to be your girlfriend Jakeson.”

As the words left my lips his confident smile returned as he put the car into park. “Then you don’t mind if I walk you to class do you?”

I shook my head. “Of course not.” I knew that he hated the fact that Skylar had always walked me to first hour. It’d just become used to him always being waiting by my locker for me. We did have the first class together after all.

We climbed out of his car and as we walked up by the building side by side like we had been the past week I noticed for the first time the eyes that glanced our way. They probably wondered what on earth was going on. First Kale, then Skylar and now Jakeson had all taken to giving me rides so far.

He held open the school door for me and I entered the busy hallway. Instead of parting like we usually did his hand wrapped around mine as he followed beside me towards my locker. Now the stares really came and I felt the familiar sensation of a blush returning to my cheeks. I’d never held hands in school before. Boy was I deprived growing up or what?

As we approached where Skylar stood, leaning against the locker next to mine like he always did in the mornings I gave him a smile. “Good morning.” I greeted him and could feel Jakeson’s hand tense around mine slightly.        

“Morning Rein, Jakeson.” he nodded and gave a soft smile as he eyed the pair of us. “Are you ready for the test today?” Skylar turned his attention back to me.

I nodded. “Yup. I’ll meet you in class?” when he looked confused I added “I’m walking with Jakeson today.”

“I’ll see you in class.” he smiled and walked off down the hall to leave me with Jakeson standing still hand in hand with me.

I got my books and closed my locker before looking over at Jakeson. He smiled down at me. “What class do you have first?”

“AP Psychology.” I informed him, nodding in the direction of the room. We headed down the hall and I could feel pair after pair of eyes wandering to our hands clasped around each other. It’s not that big of a deal. I thought feeling a little embarrassed. I’m a junior in highschool. Holding hands shouldn’t cause heads to turn.

We approached the door and came to a stop. “I’ll see you at lunch.” he said and leaned in to give me a peck. I happily received it, kissing him back softly. “Good luck on your test.” He released my hand and walked off down with a smile just as big as mine.

I turned to enter the room and found myself being dragged in by Kayla. “Spill! All details now!” She gushed pulling me to my seat. “I want to know everything!”

Making Love Out of Nothing at All - Air Supply