28: Table Trading

As I looked around the lunchroom with tray in hand I sighed to myself. Jared was gone again. I wouldn’t have minded sitting alone if it wasn’t for the fact that other people always decided to try and introduce themselves to me. I wasn’t really one for making new friends with people who were only interested in me because I was fresh meat. Oh well. No other choice.

“Rein?”

I turned around to see Jakeson approaching me, a smile on his ruggedly handsome face. “Oh hi Jakeson.” I responded, prepared for his light small talk before I could steal away to eat.

“Is Jared out again?”

I nodded. “Yeah it seems so.”

This seemed to please him and he smiled. “Would you like to sit at my table? I can introduce you to my friends. You probably already know some of them from Kale.”

I hadn’t expected this and so I looked over to the table he had nodded his head towards. As expected it seemed to be one of the popular tables. I didn’t deduce this because there were a bunch of cheerleaders with pony tails or boys making a lot of noise. No, I could tell because everyone else seemed to look towards the table every now and then as well. Mostly it was girls though.

It seemed Jakeson’s table consisted of all guys with the exception of Sarah. I picked out a few of the faces on the end with the empty spots from the time I’d played football with Kale, Frankie included. “Sure.” I nodded. At least there are some familiar faces. And with more people I can be left alone some. “That sounds like a great idea.”

Pleased with my acceptance he smiled brightly, leading me over towards his table of boys. “Guys this is Rein.” he introduced as he took his seat and motioned for me to sit beside him. I obeyed. “Rein this is-“

“-Frankie, Brendon, Spencer and Sarah.” I smiled, pleased with myself for being able to fill the names in for him.

“Girl with the mad tackle all right.” Brendon winked at me and I smiled in return. He’d been the only one I’d genuinely gotten along with on that first day of introductions.

Sarah gave me a little nod before going back to her surveying of the lunch room looking as though she were waiting for someone. Frankie gave me a small bashful grin and started to play with his straw. “So you’re sitting with us today then?” he asked.

I nodded. “It would seem so.”

“Welcome to the table.” Spencer greeted me, shooting an amused smile towards Frankie. “Always happy for the presence of a female.”

Jakeson leaned towards me, his mouth by my ear. “They’re all friendly so you’ll fit in just fine.” he whispered.

I was tempted to point out that I could handle myself just fine but I couldn’t get the words out as Kale took the seat beside Sarah and gave me a confused glance. “Rein’s here?” he asked not bothering to pretend he wasn’t a rude asshole.

“I invited her.” Jakeson nodded and I could see a scowl cross Kale’s face. Hmm. Same reaction as he had when I’d been with Skylar. This could be fun?

I smiled over at Jakeson and ran a hand through my hair. “I’m really glad you did. I think I’ll like it here.” Kale, be prepared for me to interrupt your perfect little world.

Little Lover's so Polite - Silversun Pickups