Back Home

"Yes, I am one, but...."

"Ahh, please forgive me. This way, please. Let me guide you there."

"Ah... Sure."

Sensing that his problems might get more complicated if he said "There has been a misunderstanding here", Sung Jin-Woo decided to quietly follow the soldier's guidance for now.

Jin-Woo then looked around the surroundings, the atmosphere around him felt quite suspicious. The streets were totally deserted, the only people he could see were the soldiers and members of the police. Also, corpses belonging to monsters, destroyed cars and buildings with cracks in the walls...

Jin-Woo realized what had happened here, a Gate must have opened nearby. Something like this almost never happened nowadays with the well-established Hunter system, but sometimes a Gate would appear in a remote area and go unnoticed for a while. As a result, no one would come around to close it in time.

When such an event unfolded, soldiers from nearby bases were dispatched to buy some time until the Hunters could arrive on the scene. Of course, the soldiers' weapons didn't work against the monsters. However, to facilitate the evacuation of civilians, someone had to be offered as a sacrifice. In other words, they were to become cannon fodder. A role that someone had no choice but to fulfill had been placed on the shoulders of the youth of this nation.

"Thank you." The soldier walking up ahead thanked Jin-Woo out of the blue.

"Pardon me?"

"Well, because Hunters such as yourself fight hard, we are able to go home at the end of the day, you see."

"Oh, uh..."

He said 'thanks'. That was something Jin-Woo wanted to say to the soldier, instead. Soldiers to the Hunters, and Hunters to soldiers. As befits those who fight to protect someone, or even something, they were expressing their gratitude against each other.

"Is it really that important to give someone your gratitude?" Belial asked something for the first time, usually he is not interested in anything related to the lifestyle of humans.

Jin-Woo was not alone with the demon so he couldn't answer his question, the young man didn't want to look like a madman talking to the air. But, ignoring Belial will not be a good idea, he might get angry and something terrible might happen.

As Jin-Woo opened his mouth to speak, the soldier's attention was focused on his radio transmission, this was the perfect opportunity to talk to Belial.

"Sometimes you should express gratitude towards those who did something good for you or for this world, it's a way of paying them back for the things they did for everyone."

Even after hearing those words, Belial still couldn't help but think that expressing gratitude doesn't help anyone in any way. If you think about it, it's just a simple word, won't people be happier if they receive something material for their hard work instead of a simple thank you?

The soldier's expression lit up after receiving the radio transmission.

"I've received a word that the monsters in the vicinity have been dealt with, and only the biggest one remains."

Jin-Woo nodded his head. He didn't need to hear the soldier's explanation to know, because he could actually feel the presence of a powerful "life form" nearby. And he could even sense various auras of hunters surrounding it as well. The Enhanced Perception Stat conveyed crucial information in the form of sensations and feelings. That was how Jin-Woo found out almost immediately.

That thing is the boss. Soon enough, the creature could be seen in the distance. In the empty, open space not far from him, a dozen or more hunters surrounded a giant made of rock. It was as tall as a telephone pole, a Golem-type monster.