Valentines [1]

"Isn't he pretty?" Jungkook said with heart eyes, chin propped up under his hand.
"You'll kill me if I said 'no'." Mingyu deadpanned as he continued to write his essay that was due next period.

The two were at the cafeteria on lunch hour. Their friends had left early to do research at the library.
A few tables down from there table, in a corner bench, sat a small brunette boy who always wore a beret to school. He had a peculiar fashion sense, sometimes coming to classes with what appeared to be self-induced cut out holes in his shirt.

He always had a messenger bag slinged around his shoulder. When he was at the library's or cafeteria, he would pull out a sketch pad and a small set of water color from it while taking kitten bites out of a tuna sandwich he got everyday along with a juice box but of course, he couldn't eat when he did his work in the library.

It wasn't that Jungkook was stalking him. He's just attentive,— not in class where he should put it to use.

"You would be lying if you said no." Jungkook said as he continued to stare.

"He has a new beret."
Mingyu's eyebrows pinched together as he looked up to see where Jungkook was looking at. "How the fuck do you notice useless shit like that?"
Jungkook shrugged.

"He has a black one, a maroon one with a gem on top, a green one with a tiger print, and a red one with a weird character on it. Today he has a light blue one that I've never seen before."

"Okay. That's just fucking creepy."
"Shut up. I'm just observant."
Mingyu scoffed. "Try being observant during class. Might help with all the D's you've been getting lately."
"Fuck you, atleast I do my homework on time."
"Hey,—" Mingyu pointed the eraser head of his pencil to Jungkook. "I pass in my homework on time. I procrastinate but I get it done."
"Which is the reason why you still procrastinate."
"That is correct."

Jungkook rolled his eyes and looked back to the brunette's table, frowning since the boy was no longer there.

"You're incompetence and fatuous blabbering averted my attention from my precious jewel."
"You're cringey." Mingyu said with a chuckle. "Do you even know what those words mean?"

"I have an idea on what they mean and that's good enough for me." Jungkook answered accompanied by a shrug.

"But you have to help me, Gyu."
"Help you with what? Am I benefiting from this?"
"No! You're my friend. You're supposed to help me without expecting anything in return."
Mingyu laughed as he shook his head. "That's not how it works around here, honey."
Jungkook flipped him off as the older ignored him.

"I'll treat you out for dinner."
"Where?" Mingyu asked, not looking up at his almost-done essay.
"Anywhere."
"Even at that posh bistro by the north side?"
"Anywhere that won't butcher my fucking wallet, Mingyu."
Mingyu laughed as he sighed and stretched his fingers. He put the wrinkled, overly erased paper in his bag along with his pencil.

"How about you tell me what you need help with before we discuss my terms?"
"Valentines' is coming up,—"
"And you want to impress, Taehyung."
"Took the words right out of my mouth!" Jungkook cheered.

"Why don't you just do the traditional anonymous letters in lockers or have one of his friends bring him chocolate from you."
Jungkook shook his head. "I don't want him to think I'm basic. If he does consider me as an eligible boyfriend, first impressions are the key, Gyu. He's a rare, pretty boy that likes art, he doesn't deserve simple efforts."

Mingyu sighed. "Honestly, Jeon,— I don't know how I can help. I don't know anything about the kid or anything he's interested in."
Jungkook frowned as he looked down at the table.
"How about this? I'll meet you at your place later on. You feed me and I'll help you think of something, Kay?" Mingyu said to cheer Jungkook up a bit.

Jungkook smiled and nodded.
"Damn, Jeon. You're like a lovesick prepubescent girl that's gonna ask if her crush likes her or not."

"That's basically what's gonna happen, hyung. The difference is,— I'm a boy and I have pubes."
Mingyu's eyes widened. "Holy shit. Is that where the word 'prepubescent' came from?"
Jungkook laughed before getting up from the table, Mingyu stumbling after him.

—————————————

"Doesn't he have a Twitter? Instagram, maybe?" Mingyu asked as swiveled in Jungkook's gaming chair, stomach full from the Chinese take out.

"I think it's under an alias or pseudonym. I've tried looking through his friends' followers but none were under his name."
"Well,— we're fucked. Find a new valentine."
"Hyung!"
"Okay okay. I don't know, Kook. Try looking online for valentine surprises or something."

"All of them were cheesey."
Mingyu's eyes widened. "You actually did that?"
"Maybe,—"
"You're whipped like fucking cream."
"Or whipped like your mother when I visited her last night." Jungkook said with a smirk.

"Do you want my help or not, you fucking perv?"
"Fine. Serious, hyung. I want this to be perfect. Enough to see that pretty smile of his and the stars in they twinkle in glee,—"
"Okay. Just the fuck up. I'm not used to sappy Jungkook so give me a breather, yea?"

"What about straight up bluntness?" Mingyu mindlessly suggested.
"I don't want to come off as a possessive and controlling douche."
"Roses?"
"Too lame."
"Chocolate."
"Everyone does that."
Mingyu closed his eyes and held the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

"I honestly don't know, Kook." Mingyu chuckled,— "Why don't you do something artsy for the art freak?"
"Hey, he's not a frea,— holy shit, that's actually good."

"But wait,—"Jungkook looked up ay Mingyu. "I failed Arts class in the seventh grade."
"How the fuck do you fail the most basic subject?"
Jungkook shrugged. "Not all of us were born with Picasso hands." He retorted. "Was more of a PhysEd type."
"Of course, you were. But anyways, I know one of Taehyung's friends. Atleast I think they're friends. I'll ask her for some extra points to help you swoon, Taehyung."

Jungkook smiled. "Thanks, Mingyu."
"Yea. Yea. We'll start tomorrow because you don know that Valentines' is in two days, right?"
"I have four days, Mingyu. It's only the twelve— oh."
"Oh." Mingyu mocked as he got up from the chair.

"I'll be heading out. See you tomorrow, Junglecock."

————————————

"Do you think this is enough?"
"This better be enough. My back is fucking killing me for slouching down for 4 hours straight." Mingyu snapped as he stretched. "I could be playing GTA right now."

The two were kneeling in front of 6 '8 by 6in' canvases they bought at a Dollar Tree because quality ones were expensive.

"It's not too plain? Or confusing?"
"We're both not good at art but the message is there. Stop worrying will you?"
"I can't help but worry."
Mingyu sighed at the anxious Jungkook.

"If he doesn't like it, forget about him. You poured effort into this and it'll be his loss, got it?"
Jungkook nodded.
"Now get up and wash your hands before you get paint on my furniture."