Chapter 9

The Prince Learns the Noblewoman's Plan

After the kettle starts making noise on top of the lamp's fire, pour the hot water into the teapot which already held some tea leaves inside. Then turning over the hourglass, Rachel covered the teapot with a tea cozy¹ before digging through one of her wooden boxes.

".......Should I have cookies, or should I go with dry cake? That is the problem."

Placing the back of her finger underneath her lips, Rachel began to worry..........and towards her well featured face, Prince Elliott's cold gaze stuck.

"........Rachel. Right now, is there really a problem there!?"

"My Your Highness! At this stage of the steaming, is there any other problem more urgent?"

Some days had passed, and what Elliott saw when he returned to the prison with a cooled head was.........Rachel elegantly preparing for teatime.

No matter how you look at it, she wasn't reflecting at all.

"No way, you have nothing to say?"

Towards the Prince's words, Rachel put her hand to her chin and thought for a moment.

".....Ah! I haven't chosen a cup yet?"

"Why would I care about such a small mistake!?"

"No good no good, the sand has all fallen while I was thinking."

"Don't lose interest in the Prince's question!² Can't you listen properly!?"

As the shouts of her ignoring the Prince came, Rachel made a cheerful grin as the scent of her preparations tickled her nose, partook a piece of sweet candy in a single bite, tried a piece of brandy cake laden with plenty of dried fruits, and made a pleasurable sigh after pouring and drinking a cup of her freshly brewed tea.

"After all, Lion Tea's Nuts and Berries is the best for tea cakes......a grand answer."

".......Oi, turn this way if you're satisfied. Bastard, to what extent do you plan on ignoring the Prince's remarks?"

Hearing Elliott's words as his tone became like the simmering of boiling magma, Rachel glanced up at the Prince with her fork still in hand.

Rachel swallowed what was in her mouth, bristling her eyebrows, and then intensely pointed³ at Elliott with one end of her fork.

"Your Highness........that Prince thing, you must not allow your attendants to make fun of you for it! Such rude fellows must be intensely pointed at, not called upon! Do you understand? Do you promise Onee-san?"

"Haaaaaaaah!?

While preaching to her former fiancee with a smug face, Rachel poured herself a second cup with her task done.

Towards the unusual assumption he got in response, Elliott was left dumbfounded.......and then when his senses returned to him, a blue vein popped on his forehead.

"Should a prisoner be making a lifestyle for themselves where they can prattle such an extremely elegant line of gibberish.......Ah!?"

"Well! I will have you know I am properly awake. Even if I were sleep talking then His Highness alone was enough to awaken me."⁴

Rachel had a comeback for every remark.

"Enough already, bastard! Not only have you bullied Margaret from the shadows, but now you foolishly choose to refuse to reflect on your actions like an idiot.....!?"

"That's it! Altogether, while I'm locked away in a prison, why do I have to continue playing the straight man for each thing His Highness says! Why is the burden of the Prince's disgrace being put on a prisoner? Is this fine? Be aware of the words and things appropriate for His Highness's position, and shouldn't you be more careful of your surroundings!?"