Chapter 16

Noblewoman Does Volunteer Work

Sykes was going for a walk when a group of children being led by a priest crossed his path.

"Onii-chan, hello!"

"Ah, hello!"

"Oji-chan, hi!"

"I'll beat you to death."

As the procession left, he had a thought though.

Hm? Why are a bunch of children from an orphanage walking around inside the royal castle?

In retrospect, all of the children had entered a single door. The all-too-familiar door leading to the dungeon that Rachel is currently residing in.

".........Oi, she's starting something again."

In response to Sykes's report, an emergency dispatch was once again issued, and Prince Elliott rushed down the dungeon stairs. And there was.......

"A long time ago, in a certain place. There was a small country known as the Flower Kingdom."

Rachel was reading a picture book to all the children sitting around in front of the iron bars.

The dim light of the sun inserted itself inside the cobblestone room. With a girl holding an open picture book in hand while sandwiched between a mountain of wooden crates and a gorge mural, a dozen toddlers were excitedly looking on.

And with a set of iron bars inbetween them.

"What is with this space!?"

The children all looked back at Elliott who had involuntarily begun shouting, and after putting an extended index finger to their lips, unitedly told him to, "Be quiet!"

".......am I in the wrong?"

Elliott asked George who was standing next to him with a downcast voice, but even if he asked, George didn't have an answer.

"Somehow, it's like a slaver's storehouse."

Elliott hated how Sykes carefreely allows whatever idle thoughts pop into his mind to come out of his mouth. In this supposed idea Elliott would be the slave dealer, while Sykes would be the management cum muscle, and you could probably call George the head clerk?

Either way it meant Elliott was evil and Rachel was the protagonist in a tragedy. Such a story was unacceptable.

However since this was a situation where what was exactly going on wasn't clear, it wasn't like the men were going to be able to figure out the answer. So beating back the boo's from the children for interrupting their fun time, George asked Rachel directly.

".........Sis, what exactly is going on here?"

Towards her stupid little brother who hates to listen, Rachel cheerfully answered looking like a Holy Mother.

"Oh dear, I honestly didn't think you would ask me. No I, you didn't know about my weekly visit to the orphanage for charity? But because of my future welfare inside here, I had no choice but to cancel.......until to my pleasure, the children came to visit me here."

The Prince's group were then subjected to a combo strike of implied accusations like, "What do you see your own sister as!?" and, "Isn't it because of the Prince that our charity has stopped!?" and, "He's robbing a group of innocent children!"

Leaving the men to themselves, Rachel turned back to the children with a saintly smile on her face and once again began reading from her picture book.