Chapter 25

Noblewoman Hosts Some Guests

Elliott is also a Prince, so there are various events and jobs that have to be done every day. Lately his paperwork and inspections have been rapidly increasing, creating a mess of busy days that made him completely forget about the dungeon that had been plaguing his mind until recently.

During one of his tea breaks he just so happened to glance out his window, and he couldn't help but be forced to remember that woman........he discovered it.

A plume of smoke rising in the distance.

No matter how you look at it, that was definitely coming from an area that had become all too familiar.

"Ah, it's such fine weather today........"

"Can you see? Your Highness, the smoke is"

"For a change of pace, it might be good to take Margaret for a long ride to the hill."

"Over there is where the dungeon is right? I wonder what, is she burning some firewood......."

"Now that I think about it, my body's feeling a little stiff from all the work lately. That's no good."

"Huh? The smell of burning meat..........oi oi, that girl has quite the appetite."

"Yosh, let's go to the suburbs today! We'll leave as soon as Margaret gets here, so go prepare the horses at the stables!"

"Your Highness, are you listening? It looks like Rachel is up to something."

"Sykes, His Highness is pretending he can't see anything........"

With one half unwilling to go and one half feeling obligated, Elliot arrived at the entrance of the dungeon to find two young men tidying up a barbecue stove. Judging from their clothes they appeared to be apprentice chefs.

Elliott ignored them both and entered the prison.

"Huh? Your Highness, aren't you going to question them?"

Surprised, Sykes pulled on the Prince's sleeve, but Elliott shook his head while making a face like he was chewing on a bitter tasting bug.

"They're underlings no matter how you look at them, they are. The underground is the main source of whatever's going on. At the very least, we'll find the cause down there."

"Sis is unable to leave the prison."

Elliott and George nodded towards one another, but still not convinced, Sykes wanted to hold them back.

"But, Your Highness"

"What, is there still something?"

"If we go see Rachel without stopping them all from tidying up right now, then won't they have gone home before making ours?"

"Your primary concern right now is food!? Food!?"

In front of the cell, a girthy chef was facing the iron bars and giving a cooking lesson to the person inside.

"Today's main course shall be, a rare beef filet steak, prison style. Usually I cook this on an iron plate so that the meat appears more beautiful, but with the image of your cell bars in my mind, I dared to grill it today instead. I decided not to add any gravy for the sauce as I believe the fragrance from the charcoal that's seeped in gives the dish a certain wildness to the taste instead."

With the first cut brought to her mouth, Rachel raised a lively voice.

"Delicious! This sauce is different from what I ate in your shop before."