Chapter 36

Monkey Goes For a Walk in the Royal Palace

Noticing the room had started to brighten up, Haley rubbed his half-open, sleep-weighted eyes. The outside light filled the stone room. Morning had come.

Right when he was thinking it was about time to get up, something lightly hugged his body, pulling him back in. It looks like he had slept last night while being held by his master.

"Ook (What to do..........)"

With how today was, there was nothing for him to do other than wait for his master to open her eyes. It's not like his schedule for the early morning was jam packed. And besides, it would be too pitiful if he were to wake up to an empty bed tomorrow because he interfered with a cute girl's snoozing now.

After spending another two hours in bed, the master woke up and started preparing herself breakfast with Haley taking a seat next to her.

Haley has a very basic diet, consisting of mostly fresh fruit. There were also some vegetables he would pick himself from outside that could be eaten just as they were.

He was capable of eating meat or bread, but Rachel refused to give him too much cooked food. She would say something strange like, "Cooked meals are saltier........." even though saltier foods taste better.¹

One thing about this stone room that he didn't fully understand is that there were no servants attending to his master like when they were at home. And so there were none of those beautiful older maids around to pamper him. However this did mean he could spend all day with Rachel instead. That was good in its own way.

Once breakfast is done and his master has finished brushing him, Haley is ready for the rest of the day. He might spend a little time afterwards playing with his master, otherwise he'd go out for a walk-especially if it seems like there was nothing else to do.

Today there were neither any errands for him to run nor anybody to play with. So he used body language to inform Rachel that he was going to go for a walk before heading outside through the ventilation window.

For now, Haley walked through the castle's backyard towards a nearby corridor while picking up trash off the ground and storing it in the basket always carried on his back. He made it a point to do this as much as possible when walking through a place with high foot traffic.

"Oh Mister Monkey, you're picking up trash? How commendable."

"So cute~"

While giving the girls sending him some encouragement a wave, Haley continued picking up any trash he found. It was always nice doing this where other people could see. His master's reputation would go up when he did things like this, so he tried to do it as much as possible whenever he went outside.

As Haley threw the things he had collected into a garbage can he found, one of the blonde idiot's minions passed by. He was together with a girl and the two had a pretty good atmosphere going. The type of atmosphere where they were probably about to start holding each other's hand any second now.

"Huh? That monkey is surely, Miss Ferguson's pet...........?"

"Eh? But that noblewoman, isn't she in prison? Why is her pet in the royal palace...........?"

Now Haley was a clever monkey. This guy might be one of the blonde idiot's minions, but he might get along better with Rachel if Haley were to give him something good here.

But what would be a good gift...........that's it. Yesterday in a building filled with guys carrying weapons, Haley had picked up a book placed behind a shelf in a room lined with beds and kept it in his basket until now.